My son's teacher keeps insisting that he be medicated what should I do?

My son's 4 and began school Sept 1st. In the 5 weeks since his teacher has raised lots of issues like him not being still for long, yelling, and acting out a lot. The 2nd time we spoke she told me he has adhd and needs meds. After hearing from me and his father and observing him in the office and their play room my Dr told me he did not meet the criteria for adhd. That taking his personality into account and that he has never been in a setting like this he believes the behaviors due to him not being able to adjust well.

When I informed the teacher of his opinion she told me that i should find another dr, one who'd medicate him. Every time I talk to her about my son's behavior she always brings up meds and the kids she's experienced on meds. His behavior is the exact opposite with another teacher he sees often. He's told me the teacher hates him. Anyone have a similar experience? Any suggestions on how 2 deal with this

grave_flower421

Asked by grave_flower421 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would change teachers and also look at is diet...certain food colors and foods in general can cause hyper activity...Most kids are over medicated, IMO...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would definitely change teachers, in a heartbeat. Anyone who is so adamant about medicine is just kind of ridiculous. How does she know; is she a doctor?! I agree with Soniam that too many kids are over medicated, so I would not want to jump to conclusions the way that teacher is.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Change teachers.

My son acts crazy after having Red Dye #40 LAKE.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Change his diet. That teacher is an idiot and has not qualifications to say that he has anything. I'd go to the person in charge and tell them what she's saying. DO NOT PUT A FOUR YEAR OLD ON ANY MEDICATION.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son's kindergarten teacher did the same damn thing and it pissed me off!! She was very adiment that we put him on pills and I almost did but my gut said to wait and I'm so glad I did!! My son is now in 2nd grade and he has greatly matured in the past 2 years! He is restless at times but I know that by next year he'll be doing even better. I just had a meeting with my son's teacher last week and as soon as she brought up his ADHD (which he has not been diagnosed with) I just told her I didn't wanna deal with that this year and that I wasn't going to put him on any medication. She seemed annoyed but the principle was very supportive (love him!) and said we didn't have to and were going to respect our wishes. Give it time mama!! Younger kids need time to mature and I think it is absurd that most teachers FIRST solution is to medicate children. Boys especially take more time to mature. Good luck mama!!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• A teacher has no right to suggest medication. I'd be in HUGE trouble if I ever suggested MEDS. I am NOT a doctor.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Thanks I've really needed some more perspective on this, every time I talk to that lady I always end up doubting my initial feeling. I'm planning on talking to the principal tomorrow. This teacher is very inconsistent with her discipline, and is rather confusing when it comes to communicating my sons behavior with me (last week she said he was great every day I asked but today said otherwise). I worry that he may have trouble adjusting to a whole new classroom but am starting to think that may be his best option.
    grave_flower421

Comment by grave_flower421 (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• yeaa change teachers and reportttt herrrr. her behavior is inappropriate
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think maybe you need to get it in writing what your doctor said about him not having ADHD, and taking it to the Principal. You should inform the head office, that she wants to medicate your child for no reason. She doesn't seem to be able to handle kids well, and probably shouldn't have the type of job she has. I also think you should change your son's classroom. It is very possible that he is in fact acting out because this teacher is mean to him.

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Wow, it must be nice to have a preschool teacher for your son that's also a licensed psychiatrist (or whatever)... :\ She sounds like an ass. Children should not be medicated just because a teacher isn't competent enough to be able to relatively normal behavior (if he's normal enough that he doesn't fit the criteria for medication, I'd assume his behavior falls into the 'relatively normal' category).
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2010