Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

as a single mother with twin boys how do i afford daycare?

im a single mother of twin boys almost three in november. I recently moved crossed country & am now juggling three part time jobs 1) at macys - evenings, mom watches them. 2) administrative/ accounting 3) at home online for my ex father in law... i'm barely making it! daycare alone will cost me $360 a week! ouch but on the other hand my boys need it and its time for the change, ive been a sahm up till now. ive applied for aid and substaderie from the gov but still unsure how that works and when i will see any reimbursement.... so my Q. is are there any other moms in my situations how do you handle being the sole provider and juggling expenses and motherhood? thanks in advance


Asked by miritrose at 12:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 16 (2,463 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Go to social services or their website & apply for daycare assistance.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Have you tried applying for childcare assistance through your workforce commission (well that's how it's done here in TX, not sure how it's done where you are)? I don't qualify, but my friend is a single mother w/ 2 boys and she gets it.

    Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • is dad paying child support? Next year child support is over for dd and Im on my own,,,it hasnt been much over the years, but it has helped

    Answer by beyondhopes at 12:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I would actively pursue assistance with child care. This is the type of PA that should be given. To help you get out there and earn a living for those babies. I hope things work out well for you.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 12:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • My daughter has two in daycare. She receives state assistance, so she pays like $115.00 a week.

    Answer by m-avi at 12:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • What about going through someone that watches kids from their home? My friend has been doing it for years and she only charges $100 a week for two kids, including snacks and activities. You can try the paper or word of mouth. As long as you give an extensive interview, check back ground your children will probably get better one on one care then if you went daycare that has numerous people watching your kids. There are a lot of stay at home mom's out there that are looking for children to watch! And know times are tough and do not charge much.

    Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I dont know if they have it where you live but here in illinois at the aid office, my case worker told me about a program called project child, its where you have someone babysit your child, but since you cant afford to pay project child pays the baby sitter... :) hope it helps :)

    Answer by KaylynnsMommie2 at 3:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2010