How do you wean a baby off the bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well if it works like breastfeeding you drop one feeding a week from the bottle and switch it with another activity or with a drink out of a cup. Take away the night feeding last.

I am practicing child led weaing with my daughter but for people who choose to wean...that's how they do it with BF. Hope that was helpful!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• what we did with our 14 month old is replace the bottle with a sippy cup starting at 1 day then 2 until all bottles were replaced We would put just water(per doctors recommendation) in the bottles towards the end and the milk in the sippy cup, and he would associate the difference and start not wanting the bottle anymore. He still has the one at bedtime but we are trying to phase that one out also.
    Autumnlover68

Answer by Autumnlover68 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• One big thing that matters I think is the type of sippy you use! The best suggestion I have for trying to switch to a sippy cup instead of a bottle is to use the NUBY brand ones from Walmart, they're maybe 2 bucks each and they have a soft plastic nipple-type top that makes the transition much easier!! It's not a huge difference from the bottle as far as the baby can tell. And it is a good idea to switch slowly if your baby is having problems with it. Just give them a bottle for formula or milk, whichever you use, or just have water in it, and then give them the sippy for their good stuff like juice. Most kids like to drink juice better too so then they'll want the cup they think juice is in! Hope this helps!
    BeckNAiden

Answer by BeckNAiden at 9:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think there is a huge difference between a schedule and a routine. A routine is a consistent list of things you do (wake up, get dressed, breakfast, brush teeth and hair, etc). Where a schedule is a strict time frame were you have to have lunch at 12:30 pm, nap at 2:00 pm, snack at 3:15 pm,etc.
    I have found that a routine is excellent, if you dont get to something ... you wont stress as much. Consistency is key but it does not have to be scheduled. You can drive yourself insane with a schedule.
    Sophiasmom119

Answer by Sophiasmom119 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008