Does anyone have any recipes for a heart healthy diet that are simple? Ex. Casseroles, side dishes, meat dishes, desserts, or anything else?

My husband has to start a heart healthy diet July 9th and I need some good recipes so I can make sure he's eating right, low fat, low sodium or no sodium, and low cholesterol. Thanks!

calamity57

Asked by calamity57 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I'm not sure how "healthy you would call this but it is easy and good.
    get two jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce-or get healthy ones,doesn't matter
    get two medium-sized boxes of whole wheat noodles-shells and another kind like that. cook the noodles according to the box.

get a chunk of mozzarella cheese that is fresh-soft and slightly squishy when you squeeze it- cut the mozzy into little chunks.

now I hope you have a large pot-put all of the above into it and mix well. then put in the oven at 350-ish (can be higher or lower depending on how fast you need dinner done!) in a half hour mix again then if it's all hot thru-serve.
    chromefox

Answer by chromefox at 10:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• one of the easiest things to do is use the crock pot. i get the cans of chicken and beef broths, 99% fat free/sodium free and keep them in my pantry. something simple to do is add 1 pound chicken or beef cubes with respective broths, and veggies. then add whatever seasoning you feel like. no two dishes are ever the same, and it doesn't really get boring. sometimes i throw in a few cloves of garlic, too. if you use frozen veggies, throw them in at the last 1/2 hour or so.
    for casseroles, i pre-cook whatever noodles, usually egg noodles or rice, and pre-cook cubes of chicken. then mix in a casserole dish with a can of cream-of-whatever soup (either chicken or celery, we don't like mushroom but that would work too). then mix in frozen veggies. sometimes i put shredded cheese on top, other times i toast up day-old bread and crumble with parmesan cheese on top. then bake at about 350 for 15-20 minutes to heat through.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2008