6 month old baby with fever after flu shot...normal? please help!

my ds got his first flu shot today, which also contained the H1N1. he now has a fever of 100.8 (under the arm) so i believe it's actually a little bit higher. i gave him tylenol at 6:20, so he can't get it again yet. i keep dabbing him with a cool cloth and he's wearing light clothes. is the fever normal? should i call urgent care? what else can i do for him?

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is just a reaction to the injection or any injection given. I worked for a pediatrics and it is very common for children to get fever after an immunisation. They are not as tough as adults. Their body can only handle so much because of their weigh and age. So just give your baby Tylenol or Motrin every 4-6 hrs as needed for fever. Hope the angel gets well! Oh and if fever wont go away by the nest day (which usually it should) take your son back to get checked and to be sure there are no reactions that he might be allergic or something to the flu shot. He will be ok!
    dha8718

Answer by dha8718 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I am surprised the nurse/doctor didn't tell you that it is very common for your child to get a slight fever after the shot. It should only last a day though and if it goes high, which it should not then you should call. All three of my kids always gets a small fever that lasts about 12 hours after getting flu or other shots. If you are still uneasy there is no harm in calling to put your mind at ease!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yeah its very normal for your baby to have a fever or not feel good after it.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 12:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• YEs, it is normal. 100.8 is not so bad. All my kids had fevers after their immunizations. He will be fine.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i just took his temp again and it's at 101.8, how high is too high?
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• coder_chick...FUCK YOU!

how dare you come on here and judge me! i was asking for advice, i've already spoken to the doc. and 2 different nurses who all say he'll be fine, it just sounds a little weird to me. they say the shot can make a fever go to 103, but that just seems little high for a baby. so i'm just asking around. and my dd never reacted to shots the same way! go find someone else to bitch to!
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i'm looking for other EXPERIENCE on the situation, and the only thing i'm experiencing with you is that you are a bitch. go find something else to do, obviously you really don't care about anyone, and you are just out to degrade people. and quite honestly, i'm not in the mood for your immature games, grow up a little!
    nickellmomof2

Comment by nickellmomof2 (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Give me a freaking break. Don't you ask your actual DOCTOR ANYTHING?

Maybe in the future you should pay attention, take notes and ask questions of the people that are caring for and poking your child with needles. These are all things that most doctors/nurses will TELL you, plus provide you with a reminder paper to take home with you, and if they don't, you should ask THEM instead of asking a bunch of random strangers online.

For someone claiming to be the parent of even A child, let alone TWO+... you have me seriously doubting your competency as a parent.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You're the one asking stupid questions that make yourself sound like an daft air head. It's not like the post-shot instructions are complicated. No one online is going to be able to tell you the instructions YOUR doctor gave for YOUR child. If you have so little confidence in the medical care your child is getting, perhaps you should be looking for a second opinion from some other qualified medical professional and not from random strangers that know nothing about your child or his medical or family history.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2010