ever watch a child with ADHD?

I did this weekend and i realize i do not know how to deal with it.. everyone i know or was involved with the daycare i was helping said there is nothing you can do cept keep them safe? he would just run.. he took his clothes off.. attacked his sister... he said he pooped his pants (this is a toilet trained child) put things in his mouth just to get a rise out of me.. stole food.. climbed on top of the cots and danced several times.. I was so worn out and i felt so defeated.. i spent so much time worrying about the child and trying to keep him safe then getting really sad because i could not find a common ground and find a way to have a good time with him for more then a few minutes at a time. I am pregnant and overly emotional - i cried when i had had to much.. like when he got away from me and ran across the street in his boxers and a shirt. he called me a big baby.

I no longer watch him- FFRwhat does a person do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Health

• What i have been told is beatings are sometimes just how you deal with this type of child. I will quit before i consider this mod of action.. I tried taking the child out side - i was told he likes to get naked and get out of the court yard - if he does i wont catch him - so i got worried as i watched him play and - i had his two siblings -one of which must have their way and if not can give themselves a fever... then an older child that if i hadnt feed the child i wouldnt have known i had him he was so good.

I tried playing with playdough but it was to hard - i wanted to put water in it and mold it so the kids could play with it ... they wanted to help - i kind of thought it would be messy but fun. it turned into a mess and the boy that has adhd started eating it... *sigh*
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Was he diagnosed as ADHD? Or is that just an assumption? I don't mean that in a rude or negative way either. :)
    Kids with ADHD may also have Sensory Processing Disorder, or they have SPD and were wrongly diagnosed with ADHD. Anyway, it's hard to work with them I know... my son is SPD. How old is he? Depending on the age, there are lots of things that you can do.
    Look up some info on SPD, it talks about different calming methods. A lot of it is repetitious, and things that will take time, but they do work. One thing that kids with ADHD and/or SPD need is routine. They get VERY out of whack when that routine is disrupted.

Good luck Momma!
    jsikapv

Answer by jsikapv at 12:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• he is 3 going to be four and he was diagnosed and medicated for it.. the diagnosis may be wrong - i do not know - he is not my child... that day he was sent to day care with me with out getting his meds. if the stuff i described sounds like it could be something else yea.. wow. the mother says the medicine is to slow his heart rate ... and that it is very hit and miss -sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt... it would be sad if he could take something more effective that would help us so we could calmly interact with him... It was also a weekend thing that i worked with this child so i dont work with him anymore... I saw and spoke to him today and he was sweet... to me.. again no medication and so everyone who worked with him was tired
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My ds has ADHD and SPD, what a combo! He is always in motion. His autism pales in comparison to them (IMO). My ds requires constant care and supervision, even with medication. And the key is to stay calm, no matter what he does! Once you give them a reaction they will escalate their behavior to keep getting you to react (been there lol). And structured activities, any down time is time to get in trouble! But don't get discouraged, it's tough, even for the veterans :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2010