Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

should i get legal representation for my child support case? i know i am not going to get much child support from the dad. i just dont want to go to court and he manipulates the system and the situation. he works illegally!!!! if you know what i mean?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Yes, you should get a lawyer. A lawyer knows all the laws, you don't. A lawyer will be able to fight for you better than you would representing yourself.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Legal representation can be extremely expensive. I would try to find out first if you will need it. Is the state representing you or the child?

    Answer by tootoobusy at 12:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Illegally? Wow, that is tough. When he makes the claims of how much he has I hope you are documenting it if it is by cell or text. If your income is barely keeping you and your child above water you can get a legal aid attorney or one that does not charge a fee unless they win your case. In the latter they charge a percentage of what is recovered.

    Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • i honestly dont think he can manipulate the sysytem, but f you can get legal repreentation, then id say why not.

    Answer by gabby06 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • What state are you in? Is he paying support now without an order? How is the amount established in your state?

    Answer by tootoobusy at 12:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • well since he is working illegaly there are no "legal" funds in which to base the child supportoff I would think the first step is turning him and his employer in so he starts getting paid on the books.

    Some states can base child support on the past years tax returns. If you two were still together then and filed jointly youd hve a record of his earnings, if you weren't and he didn't pay any because he's "under the table" then yeah you have a problem that I think only a lawyer can really help you with.

    In most cases you receive 16% (or is it 17%) of his pay per child.....BUT if he makes less than $10,000 a year he's considered below the poverty line and he's not responcible for that. My ex was going to school an living off student loans and financial aid, which aren't included as income, with his very part time job he earned less than $10,000 a year, so I get $25 a month for our 6 year old son.


    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Yes.

    Answer by tasches at 2:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Yes, always get representation if you can afford it. Its actually very critical as what is set out in a court order is often set in stone& is extremely hard to get changed. Let an attorney represent you in all legal matters. I am a huge supporter a& activist regarding childrens rights to both parents & child support reform. There is an extreme need, as there are way to many Judges using child support as a way ostracizing the parent removed from their children lives. Labeling them as Deadbeats so society rejects them, using jails as a debtors prison which does not solve the problem for you, the parent with the responsibility of the children or the parent whos forced into got knows what, you say illegal, why? Right or wrong, the child support system needs reform. Pick your battles sweetie some money is better than no money,be fair. Those are his kids too work together not apart your children will be better off because of it.

    Answer by lacyjones at 5:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010