Does the Devil Exist?

I have heard it said that the Devil's greatest advantage is that people do not think that he actually exists. What do you think? Is satan a mythological character? Is there really a devil who is trying to steal your soul? Looking for reasoned answers. Thank You!

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 12:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree, and do believe the adversary exists because the bible says as much.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• DEFENETLY
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 1:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I've seen an evil in the eyes of some people I have dealt with over the years that assures me that all is not cherubs and puffy clouds in the afterlife. There is no way that those folks are going to the same place as people like Mother Teresa and Princess Diana.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No... I believe that the world is made up of energy and as many of us learned in Chem or most other science classes.. there is positive energy and negative energy. I think that the devil was "invented" to put a name and/or face to something that is not easily understood.
    I compare it to... "thunder is just god bowling with the angels".
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 2:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• YES, satan exists! But he can't take anything that you or, in the case of children, your parents do not willingly give him. He is very tricky and a legalist though, that's why we have to be very careful.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The Bible is the main source of evidence. There Satan is repeatedly referred to by name (Satan 52 times, Devil 33 times). Eyewitness testimony to Satan’s existence is also recorded. Jesus repeatedly spoke of Satan by name and was an eyewitness to his existence. [Luke 22:31; 10:18; Matt. 25:41.]
    What the Bible says about Satan the Devil makes sense. The evil that mankind experiences is far out of proportion to the malice of the humans involved. The Bible’s explanation of Satan’s origin and his activities makes clear why, despite the desire of the majority to live in peace, mankind has been plagued with hatred, violence, and war for thousands of years and why this has reached such a level that it now threatens to destroy all mankind.
    joyfulily

Answer by joyfulily at 4:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• "...do believe the adversary exists because the bible says as much."

Good thing the bible doesn't tell ya to jump off a cliff. wow

No, I don't think it exists anymore than Hades or Hela do from the other religions that existed before and had their own versions of Hell and Gods of the Underworld. Satan isn't exactly a new idea.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i believe so...my 'reasoning' is that where there is good, there must be bad. there must be an opposite..and he might as well be God's opposition as anything. i don't believe he's all red-horned and pitch-forked. i don't know what he might look like..just as i don't know what God looks like. its his nature, that i believe in.
    too bad..it'd be nice to know everyone could get along without the bad/evil..but its here, and you can combat it as only you can, through your better nature, your holy books, your God/gods/goddesses/etc, your human kindness...but evil does exist, and i believe it comes from him. (btw, its very early, and i haven't had coffee, so if this seems rambled, that's why. :) )
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No. I agree with zoeyis- he is just another form of 'guardian of the underworld' as seen in other, more ancient myths.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yes Satan exists, just not in the mythological ways that we see him on TV. Just for a FYI... God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and Angels are real too.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 9:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2010