What do you do to get your family motivated to get your house cleaned up?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Everyone helps clean. The faster it gets cleaned the more time for other things. When the kids complain, I remind them it's part of being a family. When my friend & her kids were living with us, her youngest asked why she had to help. My oldest looked at her and said, "You live don't ya? It's called contributing."
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Invite somebody over.
    Yeah, its more MY stress than theirs, but it is very effective. If somebody is coming over, suddenly they do not think that cleaning will EVENTUALLY get done by somebody else. So if the house is really bad, than I know its time to have guests!
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 1:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I get out a big trash bag and start putting their stuff in it. They start helping right away. Then they can earn back their stuff in the bag if they do enough helping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I kick, scream and yell. Especially if dh is here. He stops what he's doing and he says, "Okay gotta clean up and give mama a break here."

If he's not here, I use a chore chart. The only motivation my kids need to clean up after themselves is the fact that if they do not do as they are supposed to, I start taking away games, toys, etc.... I messed it up, you clean it up!!!

What motivates me?? DD.. I hate when DD has something in her mouth and all I can say is, "Lord knows what that is." LoL... so I do it for her, otherwise i'd wallow in my own filth cuz im a lazy piggie!!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Tell him to get the heck out!!! I clean better by myself.. my ds just gets in the way.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 1:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I make a list which divides up chores between all of us, we turn on Christian Radio up loud and we all do our part. When we are done then we are free to do whatever we choose and that always intises everyone to help out. The kids and us parents usually race to see who can get done first but if I check it and it's not done right then they have to go back and redo it.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my kids clean thier rooms, but i do the rest!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2010