custody

my husband and i are getting a divorce and im 5 months pregnant. we decided that it was best that he sign over rights....we came up with another plan. apparently i have to have someone else adopt my baby before this can happen. am i able to get my lawyer to draw up a paper saying i have sole custody and i cant sue him for child support? im gonna bring the baby to see him personally and hell help out when he can. has anyone done anything like this before? im really stressed out about it and could really use the help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• From what I understand even if he signs away his rights he is still responsible for the baby. The only way he wouldn't be is if another man adopted your baby.
    I suppose you could sign an agreement like you are talking about... but I am not sure that it would be binding. I mean if you had to get food stamps or medicaid for your child - those agencies might still go after the childs father for support. The only one who can really answer these questions for you is a lawyer.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 11:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• yeah im gonna talk to her but there was some abuse so i can fill out a form at welfare and they wont go after him.
    Anonymous

• LISTEN DONT GIVE UR BABY THAT GOD GAVE U TO KNO 1 IF U AND UR HUSBAND R DIVORCING PARDON MY FRENCH BUT FUC HIM DONT LET HIM SIGN NO RIGHTS OVA CAUSE WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT GET THAT NIGGAS PAPER IF U EVA NEED AN EAR IM HERE IM RAISIN MY DAUGHTER ALL BY MYSELF HER DAD IS IN JAIL AND I LEFT HIM WHEN I WAS SIX MTHS PREGO SHES GONNA B 1 AND WE GOOD AND SO WILL U GOD PUTS OBSTACLES IN OUR WAY 2 MAKE US STRONGER 4GET EVRY1 ITS U AND DA BABY NOW.MAY GOD BLESS U AND GUIDE U THRU THESE TOUGH TIMES
    KALICOCOKAY

Answer by KALICOCOKAY at 12:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• thank you so much. that means alot to me. i hate the situation im in. i want him around but i want him to not have any legal rights to my baby. he hasnt cared about it this far...why start when its born? ive done everything by myself while hes been out with his gf...and were still married. aside from the doctors appts ive had to go to, i even had to do everything to get the divorce papers. he just has a free ride.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yes, it's not legal for one parent to "sign away rights." They will be liable for child support.
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 12:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Texas will not grant a divorce while you're pregnant (not sure what state you're in) In most states if he is your legal husband they put him on the birth certificate automatically and he does not have an option to deny paternity unless a DNA test can prove its not his. No court is going to release him of his paternal obligation on a whim. If you were marrying someone else that wanted to adopt the baby, they court may consider that. They act in the best interest of the child -- obviously financially its better for the child to have two income providers (keeping him obligated to child support.) He can agree to full custody to you, etc, etc... but that will not change his obligation financially.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• we can still get a divorce if im pregnant. the paperwork is right next to me. just gotta send it to him. and im gonna see if thats a problem, if my mom would be able to adop along with me. ive seen that happen in pa before. im not gonna get him for support no matter what if he leaves me alone and im getting other financial help so i hope its not a problem. the baby will have everything it needs and more without his help. i have a room full of baby stuff already and he hasnt done a damn thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2008