the "rule of thumb" is that an engagement ring should be equal to 2 months salary. Did your DF/DH spend 2 months salary? Considerably less? Considerably more?

You do not have to tell how much your engagement ring cost. I am just curious if many men still follow this?

* & by considerably less or considerably more, lets say that it was more than $1,000 more or less than 2 months salary. Just for the sake of this question.

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• No He did not spend two months salary. THat would have been insane since I wanted a good downpayment on a house instead. I don't believe in that. I think it's what the companies want and hope for but not a smart thing to do.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my first husband spend about 2 & half months salary. I got an amazing ring, it was gorgeous. But I admit we could have used that money for something else. In the end though, I sold it after we got divorced.
    stressedmomma13

Comment by stressedmomma13 (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If I were to wait for him to be able to save up two months' salary for a ring, I would likely never see the ring. Not because he can't save but because there are just too many bills for that investment. I don't care how much the ring costs; I'm not marrying the ring.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have never heard that. At the time, I think my rings cost 3 or 4 months salary, but we were able to make payments on them.
    .JessicaRabbit.

Answer by .JessicaRabbit. at 2:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We were never engaged so I never got a ring. And honestly, I would kick him if he ever spent 2 months salary on a ring. I hate wearing jewelry or have anything on my hands/wrists. I wear rings so rarely I'd be too afraid to take it off to wash my hands and leave it behind in a public restroom -- because that's exactly what I would do.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 2:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We didn't do the engagement ring until later. We were so poor when we first got married, a ring was the last thing to worry about.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You sold the ring lol. Well at least you put it to use in the end OP
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No, my husband didn't spend that much on a ring. I would have been upset if he had.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yes he did, but didn't do it for that specific rule of thumb.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Not at all. In fact, this is the first I've heard of it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2010