what is your opinion on this?

if a couple is engaged & they break up, who should get the ring? should it depend on who broke off the engagement? And if a couple is already married & gets divorced, who should then keep the ring? should it again be about who decided on the divorce?

*My ring was worth almost 10k (from my first husband). I kept it. He essentially ended the marriage with his choices, but I am the one who filed the divorce. I kept the ring & ultimately sold it. I only got about 3k for it, so it was a loss, but I used the money for a down payment on a car & new furniture.

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Simple answer (with all the variables aside) I think that in an engagement that is ended, the man should get the ring back. In a marriage, the woman should keep it. I can't really explain why I think that though. That's just what seems right to me.
    AJ072506

Answer by AJ072506 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I believe that in both scenarios it should depend on who ended the relationship. JMO though.
    stressedmomma13

Comment by stressedmomma13 (original poster) at 1:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• IDK.. I think it depends on the situation. I was engaged once and I called off the wedding. We broke up amicably... we talked it out and decided that I got the washer & dryer and the dishwasher and he got the ring. Had the ring been nicer??? A different story may have played out! LOL

washing dishes

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 2:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Well my rings ware on my finger he can keep his ring from a marriage and I keep both rings from the egagament and the marriage.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Engagement, he should get it back. It was a ring given as a promise to marry. If you don't marry, give it back. Doesn't matter who broke it off. Though, if he's a cheating bastard, you keep it!
    If a marriage ends in divorce, I think the wife should keep the rings, all the rings. They are hers once they marry. They should remain her's when the marriage ends.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Engagement - He gets it back
    Marriage - She keeps it
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I feel that an engagement ring (even given as a gift) should be returned if the marriage does not happen - period. If you divorce, the woman and man keep their ring/s. I had one ex-fiance that didn't want the engagement ring back so I sold it.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I kept my rings and pawned them for 3400.00 I filed the divorce but in the settlement it stated that each party retains all property in their possession...so they were mine for 18 yrs I had the right to dispose of them how I wished!

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The ring was given to you. There was no stipulations. We don't give back other things or pieces of jewery. Why should a ring be any different? It was given to you as a gift. A gift is for keeps, no matter what happens down the road!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 11:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010