For The Non Spankers!!!

When do you tell your kids when they see another kid gettin a spanking???

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 1:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My kids are well aware that different families have different rules. If we see a child being being spanked, its no different than when we witness other reprimands. We know it's not our business and we go on with our day. If my kids ask, I remind them that different families have different rules and consequences. For that family, the consequence for whatever disobeidence the child may have engaged in was a spanking. In our family, there would have been a different consequence.

Spanking is not beating. We also make that clear to our children if the topic comes up.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My kids have seen it a few times, and I tell them that every parent is different, as is every child. My DD pressed the issue with me once, and I told her that parents decide the best form of discipline for their children, that spanking isn't "bad", it's just not my choice.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• As far as I know.. other than on TV.. my 17 (almost 18) year old DS has never actually witnessed another human being literally have their ass handed to them for making a mistake.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 2:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• IhartU, so telling your child that someone is bad is a good thing? Hmmm WOW. I feel abuse is abuse and weather I feel someone spanking in public is abuse(which I do that is embarrassment on top of a spanking) does not mean I will tell my child something like that horrible!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My son told me his friend was spanked with a belt and I told my son I thought that was wrong and I felt for his friend. I believe spanking is what the frustrated and lazy use as a punishment. I have never spanked my son and he is a well behaved child and very respectful to all. We teach him how to behave and how to treat people by example and use logical consequences with him. I can't imagine that spanking teaches anything other than aggression and that when mom and dad get mad they hit.

This friend is a very aggressive little boy but in my home with mom and dad not around is very calm and well behaved. He has misbehaved a couple times and actually crouched down and begged me to not spank him. He was trembling. I told him to apologize for his behavior and made him clean up the mess and let him know it wasn't the end of the world. I will never think spanking is OK. I know other kids just like him makes me very sad
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 11:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My kids know that difference households have different rules and different consequences for breaking those rules. I don't demonize it or explain it, it's just a consequence that other parents use. They are familiar with the concept from the general media anyway.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• That depends A LOT on the age of the child
    AJ072506

Answer by AJ072506 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• we don't generally say anything, mind our own beeswax and keep walking on and forget about it a few minutes later.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I explained the why behind the spanking.

Answer by older at 8:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• IhartU, That is when as a parent who spanks as an absolutely LAST RESORT I would have VERY loudly said to my child "that woman lacks the ability to not judge others parenting. And she leads her child to believe it is OK. That is NOT the way we live out lives although we do not agree she is NOT a bad person."
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2010