Should we Drive or fly to our vacation destination? pros and cons listed below

my SO, 23 mth old DD and myself are going to San Francisco from LA. We also wanted to stop by Yosemite National Park for a day here comes the issue, the drive to Yosemite is approxiametly 8hrs (thats if weather is good). we want to hike for one night then leave next day to San Fran which is about 4 hrs.We are NOT using our car in San Fran, only their transit system. Our whole trip is from Oct. 25-29.
Pros of driving:
*nice road trip
*get to go to yosemite

Cons of driving
*we have an SUV which means lots of gas being used (more money being spent)
*San Francisco we have to pay a fee of $50 a day at our hotel for our SUV
*long drive in a short period and our DD might not be able to handle it.

If we fly its a total of $200 roundtrip for all of us. we dont have to pay for parking and just incur the small fees of the transit systems instead. But we wont go to yosemite anymore. i figure we can save YNP for another trip.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 2:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would fly and save Yosemite National Park for another time. That's a lot of driving and sightseeing for such a short amount of time. Plus you don't want to over do it with your child. Even if she is a good natured child, any child that is overstimulated can turn into a cranky child.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'd fly and not go to Yosemite. At 23 months, I bet your DD would have just as much fun at a city park!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You have to pay for parking at your hotel? I've never heard of that before.

You have a young child. How much baby gear will be going with you? If you drive, you can take as much as you need. If you fly, you'll be limited or have to pay extra fees. If you fly, you'll also have to go through all the security searches.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• For that short a vacation I'd fly. There's so much to see in SF.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 4:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Hotmamma in san Francisco it's very cmmon that you have to pay an arm and a leg for paring at your hotel. I looked at many hotels and they all charge between $35-$50 a day. I do like the idea of being able to pack whatever I need in my car however it will be coming at a high price. Gas to drive down there and back will be well over $400. Then when we get there we will have to pay for parking everyday just to park our car while we will be taking the transit systems to a good feel for San francisco. Even if we decided to use our car around the city that would also be a fee to park in the parking lots when we get to the attraction.

I guess it wouldn't make too much sense to drive. It takes more time from our trip and will drastically cost more to drive. So I guess we are flying! I really hope it's not raining when we r there otherwise that would totally suck!!
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I just flew from SF to LA. I paid 160 r/t on AA. The carseat n stroller are free if traveling w a baby. Good Luck!
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 12:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2010