Your thoughts?

Ugh. My DH's grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins attend a little bitty back-country church that I absolutely DESPISE. If you are female, you HAVE to wear a dress or skirt; pants are unacceptable. You HAVE to use a KJV bible; if you have a different version, a KJV can be supplied. I attend a contemporary church, with "new" music which is displayed on a projector screen, and was told by a member of their church that we weren't really "worshipping", as only Hymns were appropriate. Pssh.

So - what do you think about this nonsense?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 11:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's very legalistic. It fails to recognize the true nature of God's grace, imo. Our district supervisor gave us this little thing once called PCA
    P = Preferences
    C = Convictions
    A = Absolutes
    veryone has preferences. Preferences would be like KJV vs NIV or Hymns vs Chorus' Neither is right or wrong, just preference.

Convictions are brought on by the Holy Spirit. "I must live my convictions without imposing them on other people."

Absolutes are those things which the bible states are true. Such as "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no man comes unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 Jesus is the only way, that's an absolute, it cannot change, there is no other way. All people have them, there's no wiggle room!
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 3:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Oh, and I just thought of something funny. Due to an electrical fire in our home, my DH and I once had to live with his grandparents. One day I was listening to a contemporary Christian cd to prepare for a song I was planning to sing....and you would have thought by his grandmother's reaction that I was forcing her to listen to some satanic heavy metal. If looks could kill, that cd player would have bursted into flames! LOL.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Nonsense. They are caught up in their "own" religious doctrine.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I think you should go where you feel the most comfortable. I went to a lot of different churches and never felt good in any of them. I have found a great church now. I love going and feel like I am really learning there. You have to go where it feels good and right in your own heart. I went against all my dh's family in going to a totally different church than them. Now my dh and I are so happy in our church. The rest of the family has left us alone about it. It is a personal choice.
    liebimom3

Answer by liebimom3 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• One word....Legalism.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 12:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I think they need to come out of the 18th century!!!
    I grew up around some of those fuddy duddies.(to put it nicely)
    I was raised in a baptist household, but...I went actually sent to "several" different churches, so that my brothers & sister could learn to believe in; "what WE believed in." Not what we were TOLD to believe in. Isn't that why it is called a "BELIEF"?
    My mother in law used to give me those same looks. She had her thoughts & beliefs, I had mine!
    catysnanny

Answer by catysnanny at 12:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That is how my family is (except my dad). I think it all goes back to how they remember church is suppose to be. Church is about worshiping God, not all that other stuff. You are there to worship him and praise him...That is all that matters.
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Religious legalism. I grew up that way... until I opened the bible and realized it didn't say anywhere I couldn't wear pants, makeup etc. I still have relatives who don't think I've found Jesus. What worked with me for some of my relatives... I would tell them no where does it call pants, make-up etc a sin.. however gossip is. . guess which one I'm not doing (they never had a come back).
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• legalism... We use KJV, sing out of the Heavenly Highways, wear dresses, skirts, pant suits and also use the projector for certain Praise and Worship music...And we are a country baptist church. A condition of the heart. A heart of true worship. And if you are to busy concerned about someone is wearing or singing..make sure you are honoring Him in ALL things first..Think about it.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I agree with ProudMommie87, only my father still looks at most contemporary music as noise, lol. However, he's gotten more tolerant. The Lord sent me to a specific church here, and that caused a fight with me and my father because I didn't go to HIS church. I finally asked him why, after all the time he spent teaching me how to hear the Lord's Voice (what time I wasn't rebelling), would he tell me to go against Him just because it doesn't agree with what he thinks is right? He backed off even though he doesn't understand even now. Only the Lord knows the heart. If He leads you to wear pants and make-up, there's a reason for it. Go with what He says...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2008