what age should a child get a cell phone?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 3:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• when they can pay for it themselves we are a nation of giving kids everything they want and we all have to work for things they should have to also
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• when she has her own job & I am no longer financially or legally responsible for her.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 3:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• when they can pay for it
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 3:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• around 8 yo or 9 yo but it should be a prepaid phone just to call in case of emergency and to let me know when she gets home if I'm not there and when shes leaving school
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 3:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i think by 10. but let me clarify. there are the firefly phones. which actually feature built in parental controls that allow parents to put restrictions on incoming and outgoing calls as well as limit or restrict texting at no additional cost.
    awasmer828

Answer by awasmer828 at 3:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I am completely with momma awasmer828.

I also want to add that both of my SS children do chores around the house that have to be done daily and weekly or they loss there phone unless they are going to school or school function.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When they are responsible enough to use it and take care of, whether that means paying for it or not. It is not just for privilege but to keep in contact with your child in case of emergencies and to make sure they are safe and alright.

My boys were 8 & 10 and they are 16 & 18 right now and they have never ever abused this privilege.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When said child can afford to pay for it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When the family decides that they can afford it.
    My children didn't get cell phone until going in to HS and only because they were starting to drive and ride in cars with friends that were driving. So they were 15-16 yrs old.
    Honestly - Children don't need cell phones. If you cannot afford a cell phone, odds are your child has a friend with one. As for having cell phones before high school - I don't see the reason.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• when he/she is no longer able to be within reach of his parents at all times - for instance, in middle school, when they start riding the bus and going to another friend's house after school, so that they can always check in with parental units - parents can always "track" them, too - i don't know how, but my son knows where my granddaughter (13) is, at all times - she was 12 when she got her cell - she uses it mostly to text - i've never reached her by cell yet - she is always texting - and i don't know how to text - lol
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010