How can I potty train my almost 3 yr. old son?

lilydrew

Asked by lilydrew at 10:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go to the pooty training group. They really helped me, and my son was 2 1/2. We used the three day method. It really works, If you do what they say!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 10:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• With my SS we dropped Cheerios in the potty and told him to aim for them and he would get a prize. He caught on REALLY fast, so as a prize we would take him to the park once a week and let him wear his power ranger suit.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• As strange as it sounds, when all else failed for me, I took the advice my (at the time) sister-in-law gave me. I let my kid go outside and pee on the wheels to my car.. after a while of "peeing on something he shouldn't be" as he thought, I slowly started coaxing him into the bathroom to pee in the toilet. By that time, he thought peeing was amusing. I know, it's strange, but it really works too.
    catumai

Answer by catumai at 10:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• All kids are different...my daughter was fully potty trained at 18 months, my other daughter was still in a pull-up at night at age 4! Each child is different, you have to be consistent. Sometimes they are not ready despite your efforts. My grand daughter was 2 and we thought she was ready cause she was so smart, but she just didnt tell us. Now she is 2 1/2 and she is always wanting to go potty! My daughter tried stickers, cheering, positive reinforcement and the baby was ready in her own time.
    Lisajean923

Answer by Lisajean923 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• The best potty training advice I ever got was to take his pants off and let him run around naked. That's how I trained both of my boys. We put the potty chair in the living room because our only bathroom is upstairs. After they got the hang of it, ( lots of carpet cleaner is needed) I used cotton training pants from K-mart. I don't like pull-ups, they're expensive and they're just diapers with elastic in the waist. Good luck!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2008