Keeping pets warm?

It's getting cold over here. When I wake up, I see my pets sleeping more balled up than usual. I think they're having trouble keeping warm. The cat cuddles with DD in her bed but the rat is alone in his cage and the dogs are each in a seperate pen in the living room (they can't sleep in our room since I'm allergic to their hair). I can't give them blankets cause they'll just rip them. I'd be to afraid of them tearing and electrocuting themselves with heating blankets. How do you keep your dogs and rodents warm in the winter?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 5:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pets

• For the dogs, how about a sweater? We have a 4 month old beagle and I had to buy him a sweater for when he goes outside. He is really small and can't seem to hold his body heat. As for the rat, do they sell some kind of insulation for their cages? I've nevr had a rat, and no offense, never will, lol!!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Sweaters for the dogs... Walmart usually has some good ones in the pet section around this time of year... they look like they're knitted... the rat.. get that bedding that's made out of cloth or what looks like cotton candy... put plenty of it in there and he can make himself a good comfy bed.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 6:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• they survived for centuries in the wild before we came along and made them pets, but I usually provide some old comforters we don't use anymore for them to lay on as beds.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Have your dogs sleep together in a crate large enogh for the two of them and be sure and let them out early in the morning . No toys or bone allowed in crate. How about a big towel ? will they eat that? I put one on floor of crate. Hope this helps.
    mamamia597

Answer by mamamia597 at 6:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree with the crate. My dogs have a big crate and they cuddle up together at night. And as for the rat, two things. One, do you have nesting material in there? Rats are huge nester so if you just put some stuff in there (i used to put strips of fleece or other material) he or she will build a nest and burrow in. I used to have a hairless rat (who obviously got very cold) and I got her a glass aquarium (cheap 10 gallon) and got one of those under the tank heaters that they make for reptiles. It's like an electric blanket thats sticky on the top so you stick it to the bottom of the tank and it warms up the floor. My rat loved hers and she built her nest right on top of it :-)
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I say let the dogs sleep together, their body heat will be enough! IDK about the rat though, they sell things at PetSmart that's warm bedding and safe for them to have so I'd buy that.

I do have a group though that's for dog lovers like yourself! www.cafemom.com/group/doggiestyle Come on by if ya like!
    MadaMHannaH

Answer by MadaMHannaH at 12:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't know what kind of dogs you have but the sweaters are a good idea. Have you thought about getting them warm dog beds too?
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010