what is the most dangerous thing you leave where your kids can get?

my kids are a bit older and know better, but its hard to just hide everything that could hurt them. Thats nearly everything.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am very OCD about this...My kids are 10 and 7 but we are Foster Parents, I have nephews that come over a lot and we are expecting a new baby so I've always kept the same cycle. Keep the plug protectors in, cut off blind cords, put all knifes/lighters/etc out of reach of the children. I try to make sure that things are out of the way....however, there is always a chance that a child could get hurt on something that you think is not dangerous. It's all about trying to make sure your watching them and teaching them what is and is not okay.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My knives are in a drawer they can all open. The meds are all in reach. Cleaning products are all out in the open. I live in THE WORST HOUSE for child safety - there is no storage, no way to keep cupboards locked - not like we have many, I truly have no way to keep dangerous stuff away from them. They are all old enough though, and smart enough, and WATCHED enough that I don't have any worries about them getting into what they are not supposed to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I haven't put stuff up in a long time.  My "youngest" is 4 1/2 (the actual youngest is 12 weeks but he doesn't count since he isn't mobile yet).  I think I stopped putting stuff up when she was 2 1/2.  She knew better than to touch stuff.  As I speak there is a spray bottle of cleaning stuff on the counter along with a steak knife that I used to cut tomatoes.  None of the cabinets lock (there are cleaning supplies under the kitchen sink and in my bathroom).  The sharp knives are in the drawer right next to the silverware.  Once the baby starts moving around I'll lock the kitchen cabinet and eventually put the knives where he can't reach them.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2010