Why do you have against the anon feature?

I was reading the thread about what would you do to change Cafemom Answers, and I saw a lot of people commenting that they would get rid of the anon feature.
While I have never used it to ANSWER someone else's question, I have used it to ask a question anon, and then to respond anon to comments within that question. I found it comforting to know I could ask a question and respond without everyone knowing who I am, especially due to the personal nature of my question.
I understand that there are rude people and trolls, but I just ignore them.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 6:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I am not against it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Also to add, I think it is a good thing because some people don't have any where else to turn to, to ask questions.
    itsallabtthem84

• Look at it from the other end of the spectrum. When your Anon, the person who wants to give you grief, gets frustrated because they can't do anything about it other than post something on the thread itself. But they can't email, IM or give you a hard time in other threads because they have no name to associate your comment (good or bad) with. As such, they don't like the feature.

Its like being invisible and giving some bully an atomic wedgy and they get mad cuz they don't know who did it or where that person is. ;-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i'm not against it, either. i think its funny when an opposing thought is signed off as 'anon', and all anyone can focus on is the fact that they are anonymous! we're supposed to be grown women here, and if you are 'debating' something, debate! don't just get mad because you can't see the screenname! that is so silly!!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Some ladies use this to be nasty and rude in their comments, I believe that you should own up your words.

Answer by older at 7:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• For the most part, the anonymous feature doesn't bother me. I think the only way that it would is if I had an anon harassing me, but (thankfully) that hasn't happened, and I hope it never will :) Other than that, it doesn't bug me at all. Yeah, some people use it to leave a rude comment or a spelling correction on answers, which is bitchy, but I have more important things to worry about.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The anon feature is used to troll far more often than it's used to protect someone's privacy. If they would actually enforce the rules and shut down anyone who uses it to stalk and harass people, it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, the rules are so narrow there is plenty of leeway to be abusive before it crosses the line of violating the rules as written, even if it means they get to badger people until they quit CM altogether just because they are a different religion or have different views on parenting topics.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Personally, I'm not against it. I don't really see it as often as I used to before CM made its changes.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Its the people who hide behind the anon button in order to say things that they wouldn't want to be credited for that bother me - those who use it to be rude or mean towards others. I have no problem with those who answer personal questions using it, or just using it just because, but when someone uses it just to be able to be mean without it coming back to them, that's what I have a problem with.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• nothing. It doesn't bug me at all.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2010