How can I set a schedule for my 2 month old?

She has her days & nights mixed up & I cant seem to fix it. Does anyone have any insight on how I cant put her on a schedule?.

kkinsey

Asked by kkinsey at 6:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You won't be able to get her on a super set schedule - she is still pretty young. But she should slowly get her days and nights turned back around (until she confuses them again). :D

Keeping a newborn up will often just defeat the purpose and make them sleepless at night when you want them to sleep. Make sure she is getting plenty of rest during the day!! If she is sleepy, let her go to sleep. However, let her sleep in a room that is lit by natural light (don't darken the room). When she is awake, talk to her, hold her, play with her. My 2 month olds were still sleeping a lot, so they weren't awake for very long after nursing.

At night, keep the room dark, don't turn on lights, when she is awake nurser her, change her diaper and put her back to bed. Rock her in the dark room. Keep it boring! :D She will eventually adjust. It's hard though. Hang in there!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I personally think that 2 months is to young for "set schedule". It doesnt seem like it now, but your baby will eventually sleep threw the night. My oldest was around 7 months old before she did, and my youngest was about 3 months when she would sleep about 6 hours straight at night........hang in there momma :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• As far as a schedule goes - pay attention to how many hours go by in between feedings. How long after eating does she want to sleep? How long after waking does she want to eat? This will give you a good guideline to follow. But it is only a guideline - a growth spurt, need to increase feedings, sickness, teething, will all change her eating/sleeping needs. Just follow her and keep night time boring and dark!

My first born was SO scheduled on his own. When he woke up I knew the exact time for the rest of the day for his feedings and naps. My second born was SO irregular, it was impossible to set a schedule for him. And then my other two - I just quit paying attention. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my daughter set her own she is 2 months
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was going to say the same as micheledo. keep it bright and talkative during the day and dark and boring at night.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 7:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I got my son on a great schedule at two months. It lasted until he was four months and started teething. I guess I just don't try to set a schedule much before the age of 1 because they have so much going on it never sticks anyway! I try to include the baby into what we are doing (meals, bath, bed) ect., but I don't expect baby to stick to it! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• During the day, keep it really bright in your house, put the TV on, music on, have 'play time', give her a bath, do alot of talking to her and don't let her sleep for long periods of time. I woke both my kids up during the day if they were sleeping for too long as newborns. You have to help them figure out night and day.

At night when she wakes, make it "all business". Do not talk to her or engage her, get her up, change her diaper and feed her, keep the lights off and put her right back to bed. It sounds mean but this is what I did for both my kids and it worked! Good luck :-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Give her some more time. I know, easier said than done!
    For my son, all of a sudden, at 10 weeks, something just clicked, and we went from 6AM-2PM being "night time" to 10PM-6AM. I have no idea what happened, but it happened on its own.
    That said, I agree that making night wakings "all business". Make it all about whatever it is that she's waking up for. Keep the lights off as much as possible, no TV, no talking, etc. Just feed, change diaper, etc, and be done with it. During the day, you can try to keep her up, but there's really only so much you can do. Eventually, she really will figure it out. Try to be patient with her. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010