Did your family grow apart a bit as the kids got older?

All our routines are different now
Our traditional things we did at night have changed.
Its not family time like it used to be, its just everyone doing their own thing, which I do all day anyways. Its kinda lonely

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Zoeyis, having different interests is part of the growing process, it doesn't mean that you have grown apart. My three young adults include me in many of the things they do with their couples, some I am interested in some I am not, but I will do those things that do not really interest me just to spend some time with them.

Answer by older at 7:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No as a matter of fact we grew closer, this is when all the nurturing you did when they were young pays off.

Answer by older at 7:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Once they settle in with a mate and commit, things might change for you too.

Answer by older at 7:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No, we didn't grow apart. We still sit down to dinner as a family most nights. We have maintained our family dynamics but only because we adapt and change to how we do things. Dinner some nights may not be eaten til 8. We have a daughter that's in the HS marching band - her little brother is one of the "pit crew" that helps get items off and on the field for football games and competitions. He'll move up and be in the band with her next year. Instead of doing like some parents and allowing them to do the band thing on their own like many parents around here - I chaperon, I'm the band club VP, Hubby pulls one of the equipment trailers and is "Pit Crew". WE adapted our interests......although for hubby and I it was easy since we were "band geeks" at our own HS.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• well we're still close, its just that everyone is into their own things more than doing something together. We don't seem to share the same interests anymore.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• After my kids graduated from high school and went to college, then got jobs and moved out we did drift apart. But not until then. We were a close family. We still love to get together for specail occasions, holidays,trips, etc,. But they have their own families now and we don't all live in the same neighborhood..
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010