Healing herbs to use for sitz bath post c-section?

My friend's SIL just had a c-section. After my friend gave birth, her doula gave her healing herbs to use for her sitz baths, and they really helped. Does anyone have any recommendations for what she could get for her SIL to help her healing process along?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Postpartum Herbal Bath

The postpartum herbal bath is wonderfully healing for both mom and baby. The recommended herbs have astringent and antiseptic properties which soothe and heal sore bottoms, help dry up the baby's cord stump, and prevent infections.
    Ingredients:

* Calendula flowers (1/4 pound)
    * Comfrey leaves (1/4 pound)
    * Lavender flowers (1/4 pound)

Directions:

Combine the herbs and store in an airtight container in a cool, dark cupboard. Boil approximately a gallon of water or just use a large stock pot. Once the water boils, turn off the heat and add a large handful of each herb (children love to help with this part). Cover and let steep for at least one hour (longer is better). When ready, pour the herb water directly into the bath water through a strainer and discard the herbs.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• she has a c-section I didn't know there were sitz bath I used only mild soap and water and dry it very well and it heal fast
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I had no problems healing from either of my c-sections, I had two of them. Just lots of rest and within a week or so I was back to normal!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• thats what i was thinking krystal, y she used a sitz bath with a csection. i just let my wound heal from my csection. dont put ne thing on it unless the doc says so. 2mths-im pretty much healed. theres nothng rly to speed the process up, let it heal in its own time
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• UUUMMM...sitz bath is usually for vaginal healing after a vaginal birth. She actually should not be sitting in a bath right after a c-section because keeping that area wet for longer than a shower promotes bacteria and infection. The best way to heal quickly after a section is keep it dry and lots of rest...no heavy lifting or standing for long periods of time.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 1:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The only product that I know of is this, which is why Tam asked the question for me. Is there anything else that people have used that they would recommend? It's kind of hard to pamper my SIL by telling her to do nothing.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 12:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2010