Why doesn't the increase of gay youth suicide speak to those who religiously oppose it?

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/10/suicide.html

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/10/gay_teen_suicide_homophobia_bullying_and_the_eleph.php

Asked by older at 8:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Older i agree : it should be telling us that they cannot be changed and face ridicule, discrimination and shame from religious people.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• really?? See now that just pisses me off. Are you trying to take the responsibility away from the person who committed suicide?? A VERY good friend of mine's DH committed suicide. WHY because his SELFISH ASS had been beating the SHIT out of her for YEARS and she had finally gotten the strength to leave and while she was secluded in Penelope house with her children he killed himself and in the VIDEO he left (that his MOTHER found) he blamed my friend saying that is was all HER fault for leaving and taking the children!!!! THAT is BULLSHIT. It is 2010 NOT 1920 and the number of people that MAY have a problem with you being gay is small the number of people that will actually ridicule you for it even SMALLER! If you commit suicide over THAT the issue that you have are deeper then what someone says about you....there is something ELSE going on.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Because they don't care about the PERSON , just the HATE they are taught from the pulpit

Human beings are MEAN, When it says judge NOT.....thye SKIP that part to go to the YOUR DAMNING YOURSELF,,,,So either they DONT really BELIEVE in JESUS at all or they don't understand the CONCEPTS of his teachings

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Who says that it doesn't speak to them? A senseless death is devastating, regardless of who it is. But suicide is a completely selfish thing to do. Assuming that you aren't a terminal patient and nearing the end and in constant pain, and still some will find that not a good reason for suicide. Even so, we are all mothers and can imagine how we would feel if our children, any of them, committed suicide. I think your question really leads to a blanket assumption about everyone that disagrees with any of your ideals.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• What exactly does that have to do with my post, delilahs?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• QM you said suicide is selfish unless you are terminal or in consistent pain.

That, Delilahs, is my personal opinion.  Those that are deeply religious still don't believe in committing suicide when they are terminal.  It goes against many of their religious beliefs.  My point, dear, is that just because someone may not agree with the lifestyle doesn't mean that the senseless death does not effect them in any way.  You have no idea how something like that effects a stranger to you, so you have no place saying you do.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Why do you want to automatically assume the religious folks need to do something about it to make a change? Blaming one whole blanket group doesn't fix the problem, older. Why not spend some more government money to research the problem, only to find out that the struggle homosexuals have within themselves about being gay is sometimes enough to cause a suicide? Why not point the finger at their parents dysfunctional marriages and families? Why not point the finger at their peers? Ugh.....you got a problem today -point the fingerĀ at religions, it's so easy. When was the last time you researched anything outside of the gay community that currently absorbs you, like the rates among American Indians or widowed white males?

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/inde

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yes, IMO, it is selfish. I also believe it's selfish when someone is terminal, but since I can't feel their pain and they are coming to the end of their lives, I feel I don't really have a place to decide for them whether it's right or wrong. Using suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem is selfish. It is selfish to leave those that love you behind without even considering how that suicide will have devastating effects on their lives and relationships for the rest of their natural lives. I have already said that it's devastating, regardless of why someone commits suicide. Selfish for those that commit the act and devastating for the loved ones they left behind.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• All lives are important, I understand your issue with the gay community- but really, it's a bit of overkill IMO when you make this an issue pointing at religions when so many other factors are involved and rates are higher in other groups. JMHO ~ jewjewbee

I completely agree.  This question seems quite a bit disingenuous.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• jewjew, I do not need links to tell the ladies here what I encounter, and what my experience has taught me
    --------
    Maybe you don't. But maybe some of the other members would like a resource Older to backup what you are saying and posting. You know, it's called being credible. Covering your ass online. Your post is that of your opinion only and cannot be verified, I would like to suggest again avoiding the blame game when it comes to something as serious as suicide and pointing yet another finger at religion as the root cause of a considerable problem. Your post lacks merit and you are unwilling to provide resources and facts for other members to be able to comment appropriately.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2010