Right or Wrong? What's your opion?

I joined the local VFD. I LOVE it! It is the one thing outside of home and family that is mine, for me. I have two kids at home, 5 (in Kindergarten) and 3. Meetings (which are about all I have been able to make it to due to lack of ride), are twice a month on a Tuesday night. I was told yesterday that I shouldn't go because it's a school night for my child & that my child should always come first. (We are currently living with this person, and she refuses to watch the kids for a couple of hours and put them to bed on these nights. Before I joined she said she would). This is the one thing that gets me out of the house and with other people whom I am making connections with. It's not like I'm out til 10 or 11 at night. Maybe it is selfish to go, but what about keeping mom sane? Just getting on the internet or going out with DH and KIDS on the weekend is not helping my sanity! It's the same people, same places.

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 8:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think its great. Did you have to do any training or schooling for it?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I don't know what the VFD is but I think if it's getting you out of the house twice a month and making you happy than you should go for it. Your kids want a happy mom and if that's what it takes than YAY for you. It's not like your leaving them 5 nights a week. Have fun.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Volunteer Fire Dept :)

COngrats!! They probably need the extra hands, and your kids can be proud of a mama helping out.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'm with the others. A lot of people don't realize, or they just forget, that in order for mom to be on her top game and make sure that everyone is taken wonderful care of is to have time for herself sometimes, no kids, no nothing. Just mom. Mom has to be kept happy and healthy in order for her to make sure that her family is happy and healthy. I don't think what you are doing is selfish at all!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Volunteer FireDepartment, you can go to school if you want, but for Volunteers, it's not required. We have training meetings, so that you can learn. Not to mention they need younger members like myself on the department!
    Sarasmoonflower

Comment by Sarasmoonflower (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It's not selfish, but you can't expect your roommate to be your babysitter against their will. Doesn't matter if they said they would before, they won't now, for whatever reason. Unless that's part of the rentsharing agreement, it is perfectly fair to say no. SO, you need to get an actual babysitter for those couple of hours. I have a meeting once a month and I take my 5 and 3 and some coloring books, etc. The other members of the group love to have them there and they are out of my hair because everyone else is taking turns paying attention. Would be nice to get away, but I don't use babysitters. If you do though, that is the way to go!
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 9:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Oh Volunteer Fire Dept. I think that's awesome. They probably need the help. Good for you. You're not only showing your kids that mommy has fun but you're also teaching them about volunteering. Sharing your time to help others. Awesome, good work mama!!!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You should go anyway. Yes, your kids come first - and that is why you should take a little time for yourself occasionally.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 9:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I often have and do take my kids to meetings. They are welcome there because they are not disruptive and most people there have kids/grandkids (more have grandkids that are younger now). And they are so well behaved that I can take them with me on calls if I need to. They just sit in the truck and are super good about not touching anything (not to mention I make sure they have their little hand held video games).
    Sarasmoonflower

Comment by Sarasmoonflower (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think its great that you're doing something like that- maybe you can get a babysitter to come over for a couple hours to put the kids to bed
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010