What makes you think that the Bible is anything other than a collection of myths?

What makes the stories in the Bible true in your eyes? How are they any different from the collections of myths from other cultures & religions that predate the Jews? Every mythology contained actual real places, events and even people that can also be supported by historical and archeological evidence- just as in the Bible.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I believe the Hebrew Bible is based on the older myths of the Sumarians and the Egyptians. I also think it does contain historical information that can be useful. And I believe the NT has a lot of mythology to it, the myth of the dying and resurrected savior. It's not exclusive to Christianity and is far older. I think if people are educated about ancient religions and cultures, they can see the mythology the bible contains.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It's a valid question that she's asking. What makes the bible different from other ancient texts? What makes it more believable to you?

Faith is not a valid answer, because there has to be something behind the faith. Something that props up the faith, and supports it.

For instance, I have faith in my family. I have faith that they will always be there to love and support me. Why do I have faith in them? Because they have proven, time and time again that I can count on them. Their past actions lead me to have faith in their future actions.

So what is it about the bible that supports your faith in it? That is what she is asking. What is that makes that one myth, more believable than all the others?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• good question.
    I'd say the #1 answer is: Faith. Faith doesn't need proof.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My God why do you care so much? You ARE crazy and it DOES seem like you are trying to start stuff. I'm not sure if I believe in anything but you can't go around being so hateful and rude to people because of their beliefs vs your beliefs
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• agreed, but isn't the cop-out answer the one we usually get? Cop-out = "I dunno" to me too
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• IHARTU: If you don't believe in Faith, then why even post anything in this section? I think it's pretty ignorant to try to start something you clearly don't understand.... Respect others for their beliefs, and don't put someone down because you think they should know what you supposedly claim to know....
    I spent 8 years in Catholic Religion classes, studied the Bible from front to back, and still don't understand it, or believe in any of it, but I don't put people down because they choose to have a strong faith in whatever they believe....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Fear. We have been conditioned to fear Christianity and the Christian God. If humans don't strike you down for not believing (like the Spanish Inquisition) then God will with Hell. No other religion really has anything to compare to Hell.

But as you know, I don't believe that the NT is 'true' in the sense that it is God's word.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• mhaney03 - Which religions? Because most religions that I have studied do have an underworld but not one where you pay for your 'sins' on Earth for eternity, like the Christian Hell.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The Bible contents are scientifically sound on matters that human researchers discovered only at much later dates - shape and location of earth; water cycle; health (hand washing, baby's blood clotting factors peek at 8 days old,...); disease treatments and protection (quarantining, burying feces, a little wine being good for the stomach,....).....
    Above all, it is filled with copious amount of prophecies reflecting detailed knowledge of the future that are impossible for humans to have known, especially in such acute detail.
    And how itis internal harmony even though it was written by 40 odd writers from all walks of life over 1600+ years.

Amazing.
    joyfulily

Answer by joyfulily at 8:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Because I have a relationship with the Lord who has presented Himself and His love to me in so many ways.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 11:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2010