How do you educate other moms about vaccines? Mom-to-Mom Advice.

A friend of mine is expecting and I would like to know how can I educate her about vaccines. I'm afraid if I give out too much information she is going to think that I'm nuts. So what's the way to talk with first time mothers about vaccines.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Send them to Dr. Sears site...it is a start and not too scary...it talks about delaying and spacing. Then, talk about it with her. Then, you can show another article or two that go a little deeper. Finally, go head deep into it if she is still interested and following.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Are you a qualified pediatrician, to be giving her medical advice? If not, leave her decisions up to HER and let the guy who went to school for 10 years answer her questions.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Well, my husband and I didn't want to vaccinate the kids nor take the flu shot ourselves, but I changed my mind by really just thinking about this:

If my kids or I did get sick, and passed it along to an elderly person or infant, it could be very dangerous for them- and we would never want that to happen.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It's really not your place to "teach" her about vaccinations if you are not a licensed professional. You are entitled to make decisions as you see fit, whether it is to vaccinate or not, as is she. Suggest she speak to a Pediatrician and do her research and leave it at that. It's wrong to try and strong arm people into your way of thinking.
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I dont think anyone should base major decisions based on what they see on an internet forum from complete strangers.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Oh, that's a tricky one ... seeing Zoeyis' answer above confirms that most vaccinating moms think we non-vaccinating moms are nuts and are just following the latest trend. WRONG! We have done our research and have numerous, personal experiences to share.

How close of a friend is this person? Is she open-minded or judgmental? Try to bring up the topic but don't get too "in her face" about it. Maybe the goal should be just to get her thinking and to do her own research so she can make her own informed decision. Best of luck.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think its every parent's job to educate themselves... if she doesn't want your opinion then keep it to yourself...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I tell people to start with their pediatrician. Arm themselves with questions (based on what they've read/heard), and have an actual discussion prior to anything being done. If they are still unsure, talk to another one. Maybe even a third. So many people don't question a doctor, it's important to have open communication. If asked, I will tell anyone that I vaccinate. To me, it's the best thing for me and my family. I won't try to push someone to my way of thinking, but I will explain my point of view.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i would ask how she feels about vaccination? did she mention it to you? i really believe its a personal decision. and if she does something that you don't agree with its her decision and her family and just respect that.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Personal things like this, I keep out of it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010