what would you do about leaving baby alone?

so my SIL has been leaving my 14 month old nephew in his crib in the apt alone to go running. she puts him down for a nap and then goes for a 3 mile run! Also I she did it to come to my house to borrow something from me. Im sure she does it at night to run up to the little corner store. I dont know what to do about this. What if he wakes and climbs out of the crib, or the house catches fire, or someone breaks in or he starts choking on juice... there are so many things that could go wrong what would you do?

Tfor2

Asked by Tfor2 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is NOT okay. You really should talk to her, and if that doesn't work, I would consider calling the police or CPS to have a talk with her about it. You could find research online to prove that it is illegal to leave her child at home alone too. Good luck!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 9:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• oh my holy hell. I'd tell her that if she does it again you will call CPS. What does her DH think of this!?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would talk to her about it. so many things could happen to him or the house while she is out. If she was just walking out to the mailbox and back it would be different but she is taking a 3 mile run! Ask her what if something were to happen to her while she was out, nobody would know and her little boy would be there alone for who knows how long.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I can not leave my kids alone in the car for two minutes without worrying I dont think its right to leave them alone at home while you are out and about not a safe thing. I still have trouble leaving my 10 year old home alone just because there is a chance something could happen and no one would be there to help her. you need to talk to the whole family about your concerns and get her to see what she is doing wrong before someone reports her and SRS takes her kid away.
    MisticDawn6

Answer by MisticDawn6 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Have you talked to your brother about it? Does he know? That's not safe at all, and she needs to stop. Talk to her about it - she obviously doesn't see anything wrong with it if she's told you. I'd suggest a jogging stroller to her, and tell her why it isn't safe. Then, If your brother doesn't know I'd tell him, as well as your parents.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You can't attack her or she will flip out. First try telling her why it's such a bad idea. Then tell her SO if he's in the picture and get her bro involved. Good lord! That is such bs! But if that doesn't work , the safety of the child is more important than your relationship with her. I want to smack her for you!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• That is crazy...what is she thinking!!! Really ....Talk to her and see what she says,if that does not work talk to your brother if that still does not work...I would diffinetly call CPS.....What she is doing is called Child Endangerment.....
    tanya120

Answer by tanya120 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i would never leave my baby alone - not even for one minute - i would talk with her and point out all the things that could happen to the baby - if she continues to do so, i would tell her you feel that you should call child services - if she continues, call child services - you gave her fair warning - a baby's life is worth more than a sil's friendship....
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No my brother (her husband) does not know. He is serving overseas right now:(
    Tfor2

Comment by Tfor2 (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have a best friend whose sister did that and the house caught fire!!!! It is rare, but it DOES happen! The child was ok - I think it was a toddler and he got out of the house himself. However, she was in jail and in a TON of trouble. She is not allowed around her children without another approved adult there. She is a good mom - made a really stupid mistake!

I would warn her out of concern for HER. In reality, the baby will probably be just fine, but if something rare were to happen - she could lose her child!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2010