What brand of formula to use? I really want to continue breastfeeding but won't be able to do so for too much longer, so I am looking into different brands and trying to figure out the best there is for my baby. What brand of formula do you use and why? I know there is Enfamil and Similac that are major brands. I also heard of Target brand. Are there others brands that are good and are a reasonable price?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 9:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not going to recommend anything - because all 5 of my babies had to have something different. With each baby I'd try 2-5 different kinds before finding something they could handle. Some babies just can't handle any random formula you give them. What some babies do fine on may have one tiny thing that another baby can't handle. The best thing to do is get your doctor's recommendation - that way if your baby just doesn't do well, you can call the doc back up and say hey, this isn't working, which one do we try next - based on baby's reaction, the doc will have a good idea of what to try next. Please don't take random advice like this from random people on the internet that don't know you and your baby - what worked for them may not work for you. Best wishes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Be aware that you CAN work and continue to nurse... I did for 26 months and used very little formula at all.

As to which? Whatever baby will take. The brands are much of a muchness save for cost, but there are flavor variations and THAT is subjective. If you want to go this route, get samples from your pediatrician.

If you want to try to stay formula free, drop by the breastfeeding moms group for help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Svetlana, be aware that taking breastfeeding advice from the OB/GYN is often like asking your veterinarian to do open heart surgery on your husband. The vet has the basics of surgery, but not the specialized knowledge to work on humans. Similarly, the OB/GYBN knows the basic physiology of the human breast and process of lactation, but often has no idea what to do from there.

It SHOULD be different.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• all brands meet the same FDA standards, Enfamil and Target brand are no different nutritionally
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I really like Nestle Good Start. it helped with my kids spitting up all the time and didnt cause them to have as much gas!
    LeAnna33084

Answer by LeAnna33084 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• There's nestle and I used to use for my son enfamil soy based and used the regular one but he would get constampaded that's why with my daughter I dicided to breasfeed her I would recomed you to keep breasfeeding
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I switched my son to Nestle Good Start and I like it the best, he seemed less pukey. He's also had Enfamil, which is good, and Similac which I did NOT like at all. He had trouble with Similac, burpy and gassy and really irregular bowel movements.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I just use Gerber Good Start the orange one. its cheap and my baby does fine on it.
    jordan_wynne

Answer by jordan_wynne at 10:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We used Good Start with my daughter.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My oldest ds used Similac and was just fine. DD on the other hand was constipated and fussy - we finally tried Nestle (now Gerber) Good Start and it was awesome!! It is not as thick as Similac and I had to feed her a little bit more often, but she was sooo much happier!! It is supposed to be more "broken down" - so they say - but whatever it was she did great. With my youngest I used Enfamil. He tolerated that ok. I tried the store brands and he didn't do as well - BUT we later discovered he had a milk allergy. We can't figure out why he didn't have a reaction to the Enfamil, but I am certain that was why he didn't do well with the store brands. Whatever you decide, try them for about 3-7 days before switching - sometimes their systems can take a little while to adjust.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010