what is the first pet you let your child have?

I have learned that pets for kids can be a really bad idea depending on the kid lol…. My daughter has had two dogs, three cats, fish, and even snails as pets but after a short time she decides that she does not want the responsibility of taking care of them then I have to keep them happy and healthy.
What was the first pet you let your kids have? And how did that work out for you :)

MisticDawn6

Asked by MisticDawn6 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pets

• A hermit crab.

Any other pets are family pets that we care for together. I'm fully aware that kids get bored easily with pets.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• we already had a cat when DS was born
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We had a dog when our daughter was born but she passed away when Autumn was three. Now we have two cats and Autumn loves them...she feeds them and next year promises me she'll scoop the litter box. LOL. We'll see how that goes.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• a cat. Hey what else can you have in a small apartment in the city?
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Cheveyo1 I started my DD out with fish i thought it would be the best pet but I learned quickly that fish are a lot more work then what I thought lol
    MisticDawn6

Comment by MisticDawn6 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We already had two cats when our daughter was born, and she LOVES them, which is great for them because I'm not such a fan. We bought her a small aquarium and betta fish a few weeks ago, and I'm very surprised at much she loves that silly little fish. She'll be 3 in January, so these are really the only pets suitable for her right now.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My kids were born into a house with 4 dogs, 2 cats, a rabbit, and 5 parrots. My daughter was three when she got her fish tank, which she feeds everyday. Then she was 4 when she got her hermit crab. I do most of the feeding but she reminds me and helps too. Then my DS was 4 when he got two water frogs. He feeds them every night. I would never get my children a pet that I did not intend to care for myself. When they take responsibility for that pet I let them, but am happy to fill in where needed.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• A guinea pig. She was 7 when we bought the first pig. He's still her baby and she feeds the pigs, gives them fresh water, and helps me clean out the cage.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Well, when my daughter was born, we had four dogs, fish, a turtle and a bird. We eventually got rid of two of the dogs and got another one. Now that we are living on our own and not with my parents, we have two dogs (really want to get rid of one), a turtle and we just got a cat a couple of months ago. She does well with all of them and all of them get along with her!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We had a cat when DD was born.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 11:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2010