What do you tell your child(ren) when you smoke, but you don't want THEM to smoke?

I don't smoke, but my husband does. Our daughter is 3 years old and I'm already getting prepared .... Any advice?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• My husband and I quit 3 years ago for this very reason. I was outside smoking and my kids were watching me. How could I be sure they stayed away from the nasty crap if I couldn't. I quit cold turkey that day and my husband used the patch to quit.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My mom smoked and I hated it but ended up a smoker as an adult. I hated the my kids were seeing this so my husband and I both quit. It wasn't easy but it is also a fact that kids with smoking parents are 50% more likely to smoke as an adult...even if they say they hate it as a child/teenager. I did not want this for my children so that was my motivation. My chidren are 10, 8, 5 and 6 mos. and I haven't had a cigarette in 2 1/2 years! You can do it!!!
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I tell them its bad and they don't want to do it.. Mommys trying to quit.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• That its not good for you, its expensive & its sooo hard to quit that it's best to never start. I wish I wouldnt have! Hopefully your child will be like mine & hate it. We dont smoke in the house, but they have smelled it & hate it!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i've been quit for 2 years btw
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I tell them don't make the same mistakes I did.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 10:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• daddy is stupid. for real..i would try to sneak..but my son caught me once when he was about 3 and he asked me what i was doing and my reply was "being stupid"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Do as I say not as I do i guess
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Well, honestly, I will tell them I hope they don't, but if they wait till they are 18, there's really not much I CAN tell them.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Do as I say, not as I do.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2010