Would you give your daughter away?

My daughter is 17 and is losing her dad to cancer. We know that he will not be here for many events in her life as she enters adulthood. One thing in particular that has come up recently is who will give her away at her wedding? While that (hopefully) is still a way's off, I began to think that I should be the one. Do you think there's anything wrong with that?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Of course there's nothing wrong with that! I would give my daughter away if I was in that situation. I know people who have weddings and both parents give them away, so there's definitely nothing wrong with the mother doing it. ;)

And I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's dad. I can only begin to imagine how hard it is.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• if you are a loving mother than you should give her away
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If she doesn't have her dad there to give her away then it would make sense for you to give her away. Sometimes an Uncle or Grandfather give the woman away at her wedding.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• there is nothing wrong with that. both of my parents gave me away, they both raised me after all
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• How sad that you & your family are facing this tremendous loss. (* Hugs) There is nothing wrong w/ the mother giving her dau away, esp. under these circumstances. I wanted the 2 fav. men in my life to give me away to my next fav man, so my dad & g-pa both walked me down the isle. Whatever will make your dau happy. Good luck to you all
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My step son gave me away to his dad. I thought it was sweet. Usually it's a male, how about a brother or a stepdad?
    fantasticfour

Answer by fantasticfour at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Nothing wrong with that at all. I had both of my parents walk me down the aisle.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think that's a great idea! She's lucky to have a mother like you.. & I'm sorry about her dad! I lost my dad too.. and I've always been closer to my mom anyway.. I would want her to give me away at my wedding..♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• there is nothing wrong with with it.

I know a girl that had he fav. teacher give her away because she became close friends with his son and became close like family with them.  her dad had passed from this world.

you can do it, but i think it should be her choice who gives her away when the time comes.

Moon_Mama

Answer by Moon_Mama at 10:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No there is nothing wrong with that but being (hopefully) it is a ways down the line just keep that in mind if things don't change as far as what happens in your personal life by then. Also, if she has a brother that would be the best thing. Also you have my deepest sympathy on your husband. Be Blessed
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2010