Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Bumps

How long would the stove need to be left on?

Got up this morning and saw that my husband accidentally left the stove on last night. It was probably on for about 7 hours. When my son woke up at 630am, I saw that it was on. I instantly opened the windows and ran out of the apartment with my son - too nervous that we might carbon monoxide poisoning. We don't have a carbon monoxide detector but I'll be getting on tonight for sure. Could something terrible of happened if the stove had gone unnoticed for much longer?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

Answers (12)
  • bump
    Mom2Just1

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I assume it's a gas stove......When our power went out we'd leave our stove on to heat the house. You should be okay.
    josiesmommy00

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Did the pilot lite go out? If it did & the house would've filled w/ natural gas, & yes, that could've been deadly. Glad to hear you are investing in a CO detector.
    mrsmom110

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Depends on what kind of stove you have and what part was on...
    arouthier

    Answer by arouthier at 10:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • is it gas , my husband has done that also.but we all are ok.and iam happy about that.
    ladybug36519

    Answer by ladybug36519 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Call the gas company about it and also ask them is owners of apartments should have them insulted by law in the apartments.
    musicmom08

    Answer by musicmom08 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Unless that pilot went out, you have no issues. If it did, chances are the smell of the natural gas would have alerted you.
    BradenIsMySon

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Def get the carbon monoxide detector...theyve really come down in price. We got ours at Walmart foor around $20. You can also call your gas co to come out tp check the levels in your house? GL!
    carol2m2

    Answer by carol2m2 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • unless the piolet was out, nothing would happen! And you should have called the fire department f you werent sure!
    JoLee12345

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • If the stove was on - then you are fine. But definitely get a CO monitor if you have gas appliances in your house - including gas furnaces. As long as the pilot light remains lit then the small amount of natural gas that the stove emits when not in use is burned automatically. That's part of why they have pilot lights instead of having to light it manually with a match.
    twinsplus2more

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN