Cold Medicine???

My daughter is 16 months old and has a terrible cold. Any recommendations to help. I dont know if there is any cold medicines she can take. She has a wet cough and runny nose and pretty restless

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• call her doctor they can reccomend something or call in something for her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You should be able to try the children's Robitussin. But if you go to the store you can ask the pharmacy and they should be able to tell you what you can use and how much to give.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• She may be able to take some medicines, but I think most cold/cough medicines start the dosing information at age 2. I would call her pediatrician just to be safe.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• you cannot give anything OTC to a child of that age - especially not for a common cold. you can try vicks, homeopathic stuff, but no meds. if you are worried about her, get her in to the doctor. but it is because of parents giving their children medicine for stuff like this and overdosing them that caused cold meds to be recalled and only made for kids over the age of 6.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would call her pediatrician and see if they think she can have anything. Cold meds have been taken off the shelves for children under 2 years, HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they can't be used with a doctors OK. They would need to calculate the correct dose for weight for your child... because it won't be on the package... and the worst thing you could do is guess and potentially overdose you child.

Other things you can do: humidity in her room at night to keep things moist, encourage lots of fluids, Tylenol and Motrin for comfort and fever, saline drops in her nose

They make a nasal spray for children 2 and over... Trimenic I think it is, and it works really well to clear up major congestion... I use it just before bed so my son can sleep well if he has a cold.

Also, benadryl can help if there is tons of snot and phlem... again, I only use meds prior to med time during the day they can tough it out

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010