Gift from non-religious Godmother to non-religious God-child....

I am my newphew's Godmother. My brother and his wife and kids are not at all religious and are just doing this for her father. My question is, what do I give him as a gift? A religious gift just doesn't make too much sense...any thoughts other than cash? I feel like I should be doing something a big more special as Godmother.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've run into this, as well. I've had my daughters baptized not out of religious fervor, but to make my family happy. As a result, I have crosses on chains and other religious items that I have no use for. How about a beautiful frame or a memory book? It would require some work, but another idea might be to compile a little history of the child's family (newspaper clippings, family photos, scrapbook-style memorabilia) with space to add more as the child grows and has things to add of her own. Something I did for my niece was to find an old chest at an antique store and restore it for her to keep and use to store her treasures.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• is he having some sort of ceremony?? you could spring for the clothes, i guess. after all, who doesn't need new clothes now and then?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• http://www.etsy.com/listing/58226268/large-version-promise-me-you-will-always?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=country+pooh+sign&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title

Maybe something inspirational like this..
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You could get something from things rememberd...I love that store. I am going to get my friends son something from there because they want me and DH to be the godparents....They have blankets, stuffed animals and so many other things here is the link

http://www.thingsremembered.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category_10001_9951_3297_3297_-1?int=baby_txt&position=lnavhome

This is the link to the baby section of the site....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Actually Anon, I don't think its meaningless at all, I'm honored to be chosen as someone special in his life.
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• For whatever it's worth, DH is our oldest niece's godfather, and we've never given her religious gifts. In fact her birthday is this weekend, and she's most likely getting money, same as always. I would ask your nephew's parents for ideas.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• How old is he?
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• well it would be meaningless togive a gift in a cerimony if you or the parents don't care for religion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2010