I am so frustrated...my baby will not take a bottle! I've tried sneaking it in while I nurse her, I've tried a new nipple/bottle and my husband has tried too. She acts like it is a foreign object and rejects it every time!!!

SassySheri

Asked by SassySheri at 10:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly, get her good and hungry and then leave her and DH with a bottle while you leave the house for a while. She is more likely to take it if she knows the "real thing" isn't around...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• How old is she? and what kind of bottle have you tried?
    jordan_wynne

Answer by jordan_wynne at 10:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We used Playtex bottles whenever I wasnt there to nurse. The nipples are similar to the real thing.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Have her wait and she will just do make up nursing later. Or try for a cup or do what peanutsmommy said.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Try to leave her with DH when she is hungry. I know it is frustrating. 2 out of my 3 never took a bottle. My youngest was the worst. I worked part time when DH or my mom could watch him. He would get so hungry but refuse the bottle and they would actually drive to where I was so I could nurse him.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I actually waited on weaning till I went to visit my mom for a week. She introduced dd to a bottle while I was off somewhere else. It isnt going to do any good to try to introduce a bottle nipple while you are breastfeeding cause baby is so used to you, your smell, bf. Tell dh to try again, and you go elsewhere for awhile.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My baby sister never would take a bottle from my mom... only dad if she knew mom wasn't around. Mom breast fed her until she was around 10 months, and then she went straight to a sippy cup with juice. (During the transition, mom would sit on the porch so sis would drink a bottle)
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• dont do a bottle just do a sippy
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• LOL It IS a foreign object!! Some babies just prefer to wait or will not take milk from anyone if they know mom is nearby, but will if they are hungry enough and she's gone. Others will refuse bottles but will take milk by regular cup.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Are you anywhere in sight, hearing or smell? If so, the effort is likely doomed! Mom needs to be GONE when this is tried.
    And you can try a sippy cup.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2010