Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

So my oldest has been having some problems and I want him to see a psychologist.

How do I go about picking the right one? I don't even know where to start looking. Also, do you think it would be better for him to speak to a man or a woman?

Answer Question

Asked by nmmama09 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 19 (7,466 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • start by contacting your insurance to see if it is covered, and if so, with what professionals?

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • either gender is fine. My Autistic sons have a male psychologist and a fem,ale therapist. Its not about gender, but there skills and qualifications.

    Answer by Zoeyis at 10:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • If you have him go to one I think a man might be better and check his credentials!

    Answer by Darla47 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I used my insurance carrier website to select one in my area. Then I called and got a feel for what type of therapy they offered. We saw a male once and a female once. My son was more comfortable with the woman.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I agree with zoeyis comment about it being about their qualifications rather then gender....but if your son does not relate well and talk well with women then I would look for a male. If they are not helping then you just need to change to another mom had me talk to a therapist for 3 years and i changed about 5 ot 6 times before i found one that i could talk could also talk to his regular doctor and they can reccomend one in your area. That is usualy the best way to find a good one.

    Answer by Shelii at 10:49 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I would ask your pedi to give you a referral. They usually know which ones are good with children. As far as which sex your child would prefer, I would ask him and see what he says. I would think a male? I hope everything works out for you guys.

    Answer by momofone221 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • *BUMP*

    Answer by bluhmjennifer at 12:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I would first check with the insurance to ensure your plan covers this and what kind of coverage you have. I would talk to the pediatrician regarding the concerns you have about your son, and ask for a referral. I would check the website, most have one and credentials to ensure that they have experience in working with children and working on the specific issues you're concerned with. Not all therapist have experience with everything. I would also look into the type of therapy they do there are different methods and you should then educate yourself on the various methods to understand what it will entail. My therapist uses the Alderian method, its a growth model, stressing view on how we control our own fate and we are not the victim, they set goals for me, teach me how to retrain myself from the behaviors I learned as a child, and to learn to focus on me to help myself. You can check out differnt types on the internet.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I think you should call different psychologists to see what they specialize in and who would be best for your child. For me, gender wouldn't matter.

    Answer by WomanWitty at 2:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

  • Let him decide by meeting with a few people based on credentials.

    Answer by BluDog at 12:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.