I am just cerious to know how many people that beleave in spanking and if so who uses a wooden spoon? If you donot believe in spanking please don't reply

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am a christian and I do take the Bible literally so I do believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child". We do use a woooden spoon. I do think you have to be careful with this though. There can be ABSOLUTELY NO SPANKING IN ANGER. If you cant discipline without being angry then you should not use spanking as a discipline technique. With that said, the reason we use a spoon rather than our hand is because we belove our hands (physically) are meant for love. This may sound strange to many, and its hard to explain. In using a spoon we are using a "tool" for disciplining rather than our hand...we dont want to promote hitting. We dont spank for everything and usually once our children reach 5 or 6 years old there is very little need for spanking because they have been trained and we are able to dicuss things with them better. I do not beat my children and spanking is done calmly or not at all.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 12:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• oh boy...

I believe in spanking...when necessary, which has only been a handful of times.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I do believe in spanking if a child is doing something that can seriously injure them or someone else, but even then as a last resort.
    But, NO, I do not believe in spanking with a wooden spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also do not believe in spanking with a belt, a paddle or anything else for that matter! When more than a pop on the butt with your hand is required, then you need more than a spanking to fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I believe that sometimes a swat is in order. To me, that is a single spank and never with a spoon. We prefer to use the naughty-corner or take away privileges though.
    My mom used a paddle or a spatula on us sometimes and I don't think that it had any effect.

IF you do choose to spank, as with any punishment, never deliver it in anger. But in today's day age where so many people are cruel to children and people are quick to judge and misunderstand I would definatly look for alternative punishment options.

I admire you for posting on an issue where people choose to get angry and emotional. It takes courage to put yourself out there like that.
    feltermom

Answer by feltermom at 11:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Well.. I DO NOT believe in spanking, but I'm going to reply anyway..

Even if I did agree with spanking.. HELL NO I wouldn't use a fucking wooden spoon!!

Copy and paste is a wonderful thing!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Honestly if you didn't want certain people to reply, you should just keep the question to yourself. Sorry, but any one who has an opion will answer.
    And again, I don't believe in spanking with a wodden spoon.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 11:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I believe in spanking. Yes, my mother used to use a wooden spoon, but let me tell you, it was necessary.. We were absolutely AWFUL children! LOL! We used to actually try to hide that old wooden spoon!!

Anyway, No.. I never used a wooden spoon on my children. I did use my hand several times though!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I believe in spanking. I think if done right, it doesn't need to be done often. I DO NOT believe in using objects to spank, be it a wooden spoon, belt or anything else. If they are going to feel it, so will I!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I do believe in spanking, but under no circumstances would EVER use a wooden spoon, or any other object, besides a hand. IMO that is not discipline, it is child abuse.
    I also totally agree with feltermom, a spanking should never ever be delivered in anger. I think this is what others think many do when they spank their children, but it's not the case for everyone. you need to be disciplined yourself in order to do anything constructive for your children :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 11:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• you guys just need to drop it. I am sure I am not the only one on here that displines my child in this way
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2010