Have any of you ever taken a Dave Ramsey Class?

My husband and I are just starting Financial Peace University classes. Was wondering if anyone else had taken these, and how it worked for you?

mommy11260

Asked by mommy11260 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I love Dave Ramsey!! I listened to all his CD's from financial peace university and i have read 2 of his books. The program is very helpful and works great. Their is a group on here for people who actually live by the advice. My SO had quite a bit of debt for cars and 4wheelers and such when I met him, the CD's gave him a whole new outlook and he has done a complete turn around on the way he thinks about money. They should make kids in high school listen to Dave..it is great!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have not taken FPU, but we do follow his plan. I had checked his book (The Total Money Makeover) out at the library 6 times before I finally broke down and bought it for $10. There is a really great group on here if you aren't already a member (Dave Ramsey Fans). We are debt free except for our house =)
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'd heard of him, read his Financial Peace book from the library, and joined the group here on CM before becoming REALLY dedicated. THEN I bought The Total Money Makeover for $10, this after checking it out of the library twice and deciding I really wanted it on hand. It has changed the way we look at money and material things. We survived multiple layoffs since November 2008 and have managed to pay off thousands of dollars in debt and our mortgage, all on a below-poverty-level income. We are working our way to financial peace!.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• We took his FPU course in February of this year and loved it! We learned so much! It wasn't just about debt, or savings- it covered relationships and money, budgets, investments, retirements, college, insurance etc. The cool thing is it's a life time membership and I'm pretty sure that I'll want to go back as we get further along in the baby steps.

Anyway like another poster said there is a Dave Ramsey group on CM if you would like to join. TONS of helpful information and encouragement. Good luck =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Many Dave Ramsey courses are provided for free by churches.

I haven't taken the course, but I have heard great reviews by people I know who have attended.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I haven't taken a class but I did read a book he wrote and he has some very great advice. :) I am working on it now (sadly about 3 years after reading the book... I didn't want to commit to it, but have since decided how stupid it was of me not to, lol) and am proud to say I have met my first goal and paid off one bill! :) Next is to pay off my van by the end of the fiscal year. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I didn't assume it meant you were broke, I am sorry. I thought it was one of those courses you paid money for. I stand corrected. I apologize.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I never heard of the guy before becoming a CM member.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• m-avi, I never said I was paying for the course, or that I was having financial problems either one. I am actually taking the class free through my job, and while we are NOT having any financial problems, and actually have quite a bit saved "just in case", I feel like it would be stupid on my part, to turn down a class full of advice about saving and investing, because people like you would assume that it means I am broke.
    mommy11260

Comment by mommy11260 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have taken FPU, the only problem is Im not an employee type person, he recommends Robert Kiyosaki for the business minded person.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2010