Smelly co-worker

Need some help. My boss stinks. Not just a little, but OMG PLEASE BACK UP reeks! Sometimes its liquor, sometimes its just a sick nasty sour smell. How do I deal with this?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Christmas is coming maybe a personal hygene kit from Santa would do the trick. Untill then communicate via email. Hugs hun. Maybe casually ask what is that smell around him or do you smell that?
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• With it being your boss.. there doesn't seem like much you can do.. I would deal with it for fear of losing my job.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If you have a Human Resources department, talk to them. If not, is there a boss above your boss?
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• pass him mint or stick of gum
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Damn, I was afraid that would be the response. :(
    hootie826

Comment by hootie826 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Is there a human resources person you can talk to? They can really help in these situations! If not, yeah - you are stuck with Stinky Boss! Oh , by the way...WHY does he smell like liquor at work assuming you do not work in a bar?? That may be a problem in and of itself!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would say that maybe it's a medical problem. I have known some one who could shower before work and in just a couple of hours had a stench. They couldn't help it. If it really bothers you, go to your boss's boss. If there's not one, there's not much you can do other than talk to your boss and risk getting fired or quite.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 11:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Oh ewwww. Can you go above him and talk to a different level of management? Is there a hotline you can call and anonymously report him? That's just not right. With that being said, I would like to add that sometimes there are medical conditions that can cause someone to smell like liquor including diabetes. Have you asked him if he had a medical condition??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Smelling like booze is a medical problem? Sounds like he is an alcoholic and he doesn't take care of himself. Not very professional. I have had customers that reek in my chair!!! I love my clients, but when I have to hold my breath while I cut your hair, I get a little frustrated!!!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Mention it to HR. That way it'll come from one of his superiors and not you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2010