Republicans think the minimum wage should be lowered. 7.25 is to high.

In Connecticut, the former WWE CEO, Linda McMahon, who is running for Senate, was quoted last week by a Connecticut paper as saying that she thinks people have benefited from the minimum wage, but maybe it ought to be lower than $7.25.

Do you think they are out of touch with the people?

mommom2000

Asked by mommom2000 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would like to see this woman live on $7.25 per hour! All that is going to create is more of a drain on public assistance resources, but that's not her problem. She just wants to reduce expenses for employers, who must fund her campaign. Minimum wage has never been adequate to keep employees out of poverty, but going backwards is ludicrous in this suffering economy. My family runs a business, and the least amount we pay for unskilled labor is $10 per hour. That is what the minimum wage should be right now.
    BerryGirlyMom

Answer by BerryGirlyMom at 1:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think ALL OF CONGRESS SHOULD BE PAID MIN. WAGE

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Our standard of living has dropped in comparison to the rest of civiliazed world. Thats why our poverty rate has never been higher. We are becoming a 3rd world country. The have nots have nothing and the haves, have it all. THIS^

Grly- you are referring to bygone times. In order to get a self sustaining job NOW you must have 1) advanced education, 2) minimum 5 years of current industry experience 3) A connection. If you are 23 and just out of college, how would you have ALL of those indicators? Does being young and inexperienced equate with being irresponsible? Plenty of 20 somethings doing ALL the right, responsible things and they are still Underemployed, if that-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Minimum wage isn't meant to be a "living" wage. It's meant to supplement..or be a source of income for teens. All raising minimum wages does is lower the amount of hours available for these types of jobs. The industry doesn't suddenly have more money or a bigger labor budget to pay out because the government hands out raises.

I know it's not a "nice" opinion, but it's true.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'm FAR from Rep. and I don't believe the wage should be LOWER, but I don't think it should go up either. I worked for Min. Wage for ages, and I remember the last hike I was really upset about. When min. wage goes up, so does the cost of living... It has to. So raising it doesn't help those who are making it, and it only hurts those who are on fixed incomes or are earning a higher wage, especially those who are only earning slightly above min wage...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have no idea how anyone lives on $8 an hour let alone anything less than that.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When I went back to work after being a SAHM, and living in an Air Force populated town, I was paid MINIMUM wage,unfortunately. And I should have been making twice that amount but they "didn't hire Air Force wives because they are transfered too often". I was a lot older than 24 and I was not a kid living home with Mom and Dad. @@
    The minimum wage is so low, it will force single people of all ages to apply for government help...I don't see how anyone can agree with that out-of-touch woman.MAybe she is rolling in dough but most of us are not.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The amount of "dough" you are rolling in, is based on the choices you make and the responsibility you take for your life

in this economy, i completely disagree with that statement. that may be the case for some people but i went to college and graduated with my BA. i didn't have any kids (still don't) and had excellent grades. i also worked my way through college in the field i was studying. right now at my current job, i have 5 years of experience in broadcasting, i came in on a chump salary and have not received a raised in the two years that i have worked here and believe me, it is not due to poor job performance.
    i don't see how you can tell me that the reason i can't support myself and my husband while he's in graduate school is because i made poor choices. in a television market like mine, i should be making twice what i do. i agree with what the other girls and the poster have been saying! it doesn't need to be lower!
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Grly- newly licensed RNS- an in-demand field can not find jobs- It's a brand new day. My daughter with an MA degree (Envion Science) is trilingual and is working for a So American Co. She just signed a contract to work in So East Asia, starting in April. THIS is the reality for 20 somethings today. These are hardworking, educated people who have done all the right things. Your concepts are dated-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• How typical.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2010