Teething already?!

My son was born 5 weeks early and just reached what would have been his due date last Tuesday (now 6 weeks old) He has been crabby all of the sudden and I noticed during one of his screaming fits something white on his gums. I left him gnaw on my finger to discover that white thing is a TOOTH coming through! Is it okay for him to be teething this early? I had read often when a baby is born with a tooth (happens but its VERY rare) that they do surgery to remove it because of it being a choking hazard I guess. Has anyone experienced their baby teething this early and if so what can you do to ease the pain when they are that little (he just now hit 8 pounds)?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow! That is early! I think it would be ok to give him teething tablets or baby oragel. Call your pediatricians on call service and ask the nurse to be sure its ok though.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Im sure it is ok. I would try the teething tablets (they are all natural) or gripe water (also all natural) the gripe water is for colic, but it also says teething on it.
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• sometimes babies teeth early..most of the time they will cut them and then they will go back down. it is really painful for them but they will eventually come through and stay.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• im going thru same thing only mine is almost 2 months..CRAZY
    Keri77

Answer by Keri77 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• one of the ladies here gave me this site www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestones-teething_6574.bc
    Keri77

Answer by Keri77 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2008