Best way to handle a child who is still whining at 6 years old?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a wonderful book for you to read to your child! As a former teacher and grandmother of nine I offer the following suggestion: Frequently it helps for children to be read fun-stories that illustrate the unpleasantness of bad behavior and ways to correct it. Sometimes children don’t understand how annoying the sound of whining can be. My latest children's book, "Peter and the Whimper-Whineys" by Sherrill S. Cannon is a story of a little rabbit who does nothing but whine. This rhyming book should be read with alternating normal voice and whining voice, according to the character speaking. Children learn that Whimper-Whineyland is not a fun place to be, not just for all the whining and crying that goes on but for all the other unpleasant character traits exemplified!!! The book can be found on amazon.com where there is the read-inside-the-book feature, as well as on bn.com. I hope that this book helps your child!!
    Grandmother9

Answer by Grandmother9 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Never ever give in to the whining. Ever.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• What they said. Although it's easier said then done. Especially if you have many different adults in the household that each parent in a different way.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I tell them that I cannot understand them when they whine and that they need to use their big boy/girl voice. It seems to work. But it will only work if you never give into the whining. The only exceptions I make are when they are truly incapable of pulling it together. When they are really hungry or tired or sick it's just cruel.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• He must have found that whining works,right? So, let him know that it won't work and the whining will stop.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I used to tell my kid's that I could not hear them when they whined....since they wanted me to hear what they were saying, they soon stopped whining.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• tell them big girls/boys do not whine and that you do not listen to whiners. Only children who can talk like a big kid. then don't listen to them. BUT when they do use a big kid voice reward them and listen to them and tell them you like their big kid voice
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Ignore the whining and only speak to him when he speaks in a "big boy voice." When he is constantly asking, tell him no and then say, "Do not ask again, and do not whine about this." Be very concise and specific in your speech.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010