Cigarette Withdrawls???

My son is almost 3 months old and my mother in law told me that he has been fussy lately because he is going through with drawls from cigarettes. (I smoked throughout my pregnancy :S...) But i would like to think that the with drawls would happen right after he was born not this far down the road?? anyone ever hear of such a thing or is she crazy? HELP!!!

hadleesmama

Asked by hadleesmama at 1:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it would definitely be a much sooner reaction than 3 months later, unless you've been smoking around him after he was born?
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Three months would be way too long. IF he went though withdrawls it would have been the day after birth and for a few days. At that time he probably slept though it if he did have withdrawls.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Sounds like your MIL is trying to guilt trip you for smoking while pregnant which is harsh. I'm sure you didn't WANT to smoke during your pregnancy. It is such a hard habit to kick! It takes two weeks for an adult to get through the physical withdrawl stage of cigarettes so yes he is too old to be experiencing withdrawl. Could be teething. Could be a growth spurt, a mild cold or just for kicks and giggles tell her "He just doesn't like you. That's all" LOL NO dont do that! But its fun to think about right ;)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• 3 months is a growth spurt, she just being a pain in your butt, withdrawls happen within minutes and hours of being born!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I dont smoke around him at all. We all go outside to smoke. I think she is crazy too lol. She said that the nurses at the hospital said that he would go through withdraws sometime after 2 months. When i heard that i thought to myself that he wouldnt even remember what nicotine was lol. he had no symptoms after he was born so why would he now.. My Family Is Full Of Nuts!
    hadleesmama

Answer by hadleesmama at 2:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My sister smoked with all three of her pregnancies and the babies had not withdrawls. You MIL is just trying to guilt trip you, it is silliness. If anything he could be teething, have gas, an ear infection.
    If I were you I would do the same to her and tell her that the doc said it would happen right after birth.
    (on another note, sometimes nurses say things that they believe to be true, but arnt. This has been my experience)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It is a guilt trip and if he was withdrawling it would of happened a lot sooner than that. Like another mom said 3 months there is a growth spurt, plus he could be teething it isn't too early for that, both my girls started teething around a month and a half. Just ignore her.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• sounds like a guilt trip from MIL
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Growth spurts happen at 3 and 6 weeks, then 3 and 6 months. they can cause some pain and discomfort, but trust me it isn't your fault. I smoked maybe once a month when I was pregnant and nursing, so I can't say he would've gone through withdrawals, but if you've ever tried to quit cold turkey, you know it days hours and not months for the withdrawals to kick in. Give the little one some baby tylenol and plenty of nursing/bottles (whichever you do). Good luck and don't worry, babies are strong!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Sounds like a normal growth spurt but even if you smoke outside you are still exposing him to smoke. MIL may very well be giving you a guilt trip but don't you think you deserve it?  If not you may want to think where your priorities lie.  Do your best to quit, baby deserves it (doesn't he?) as well as you and everyone around you.  It is hard and will not happen overnight but think of that precious child and the possible problems he may have in life.  My DH has chronic bronchitis due to his mother smoking while pregnant and continually smoking (outside only).  Think about that baby and what he deserves in life.  He has enough time to screw himself up don't add to that.  Good Luck with quitting YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Anonymous