Livestock V.S. Our Children

In the State of WA the law states if a dog mauls a child the owner gets a fine and THAT'S ALL. If the same dog does it again - strike 2 then it is uthinized. However, if the SAME dog mauled livestock the owner is fined and the dog is uthinized immediately - strike 1 - dog dead. What does this Law say? Children can be replaced, livestock are More Important - More Prescious!

emily1230

Asked by emily1230 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• when where these laws written? You have to look at that. Back in the "day", live stock WAS more important.
    Sorry to hear about your DD! We had our live stock attacked by dogs and it was horrible, I would have gone INSANE if some dog attacked my CHILD! I would not let the animal live. But I'm a farm girl, killer animals need to be put down. I don't CARE if Fluffy is your "baby".
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 1:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Any idea on how old the laws are? My knee jerk reaction is that the livestock law was made prior (by decades, even) to the law regarding children. There are a lot of laws on the books that seem strange, only because they haven't been addressed in modern society yet. Just a thought.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• They are looking at it from the stand point of livestock bring the owner their money and livelihood. Children do not. Right or wrong..that's how it's done.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Looked up these laws 7yrs ago.... As my daughter was mauled and I was appauled that the animal was allowed to live. I am a Dog lover, but when you have a child involved - one that to this day has had 6 surgeries to repair what the dog did - the laws need to be CHANGED!
    emily1230

Comment by emily1230 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Is a fine the maximum penalty for mauling a person?

It seems like a law would allow the state to make that decision on a case by case basis.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It' does seem wrong. Perhaps this is your chance to make a difference and get that law changed!!!!!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• WA state it's fine for 1st offense then 2nd offense the dog is put down and owner is fined again... Dog is suppose to wear muzzle when out in public once 1st offence occured, but the dog owner never did that. The town didn't even know/enformed that they had a dangerous dog in their neighborhood.... It was - which dog hurt that little girl? Grape vine talk....
    emily1230

Comment by emily1230 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• if an animal mauls a child or livestock fine the owner on strike 1. if it happens again-kill the animal.
    bandasmommy

Answer by bandasmommy at 1:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2010