Does your toddler like healthy food or are you concerned about their diet?

I have a friend who's son doesn't eat ANYTHING one would consider healthy. It isn't for a lack of his parents trying. I'm trying to help her sneak fruits and veggies into his diet. Her son and mine are polar opposites as far as diet. Does anyone have a picky toddler? How do you get them to eat fruits and veggies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son likes healthy food because i've never given him the opportunity to realize otherwise! she could try the cookbook "deceptively delicious" its about making meals and sneaking healthy stuff into it.

http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/

llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My son is REALLY picky he is only 2 and he was never really picky before until he turned 18 months and then it was crazy...he doesnt like meat!! he hates it he will pick it out of his food if it is mixed in...its nuts sometimes i am lucky i can get him to eat hot dogs and chicken nuggets lol...and he LOVES fruit but doesnt like veggies all that much i can get him to eat carrots only raw he refuses to eat them cooked....and its just so hard sometimes i just hope he gets out of this phase soon!! and my daugher who is almost 13 months eats better than he does lol.
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• oh wow i hope i don't have a picky eater. wth my 2 yr od i ate fruits and veggiesthe whole time i was pregnant an while i breastfed. They say the baby can get different tastes that early. He like everything. he would pick a apple over candy or chips, thank god. He does like his sweets though.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My Daugter is 2 and is in love with Dora I tell her that Dora likes them and I will play feed them o her dora doll and then i ask my DD if she would like to try them. She usually does.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 8:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• What worked with my son was just not giving him anything but the healthy stuff.. hes four and still doesn't eat french fries. If you are the parent and you refuse anything else... the child won't starve themselves. You are the boss. I don't get people that say things like "He will only eat... (fill in the blank)" If he's 3.. is he feeding himself?? :)

Introduce lots of variety of healthy foods early (15 months on, or so) so they will be more open to new tastes.

Another thing that works for us is a "three bite" rule. No matter the amount of complaining you must eat at least three bites of everything on your plate. It helps build his pallet for new foods, and keeps him from just eating the things he knows over and over. We do the same thing with our 22 month old daughter. Its hard at first but kids do understand rules.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My two year old LOVES vegetables, fruit, and meat. He's not too big on dairy though. At dinner time the only way we can get him to eat anything besides his meat (even fruits and veggies) is to kind of con him into it. We don't put the meat on his plate, but tell him he has to take a bite of whatever else, and then he can have a bite of meat. He is starting to get the hang of it and we can now put a few little pieces of meat on his plate and then he'll start eating other stuff before asking for more meat. It's not an easy process...we've been doing this for a few months. Bad habits are hard to break!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My son is texture picky, but loves peas, carrots, celery, apples, etc. He gets half of an oreo a day and one fig newton for sweets. If we are out and one of us gets icecream, he gets a few bites, but I just kept putting the healthy stuff in front of him. Good luck with your friend!
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I have a son that is picky. He doesn't like to eat green foods and the textures of a few other foods. I would hid it. I cover it in food that I know that he will eat. He wises up and picks it out. I give him a couple of spoonfuls without the food he doesn't like and then hide it again. My older children don't like squash and pumpkin so I make pumpkin/squash bread. They love it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2008