• In the Spotlight:

I need serious help! MY son is seriously not wanting to sleep without me and he is being more stubborn

my son is 27 months. he is refusing naps. he is also now refusing to sleep without me in the room. we share a room. the way it used to be was I put him down at 8 and leave the room then I come back in when i am ready for bed...but now i am forced to go to bed when he does cause he will not go to bed without me. he has been extremely cranky and stubborn...kinda getting into trouble on purpose and not listening to no. this all started when his ear tubes fell out and he now has an ear infection...idk....but i am ooober stressed...i have school work that i used to do during nap and sleep time. HELP!

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ear infection possible cause plus he is TWO lol terrible twos! my daughter likes to fall asleep when i am in the room and once she is completely asleep i get up and do what i need to do or just relax!

*have you talked to your son ENT doc? is it normal for them to get infections after the tubes fall out? I hope not :( i thought it was supposed to resolve the issue not just hold it off for a while!
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I am sure it's the ear infection. Once you get it under control he should settle. Remember you DO NOT have to go to bed when he does. He just may go to bed later. As for naps my oldest stopped those at 15 months. I am just hanging on to them as long as I can with the youngest. Have him do quiet time instead. He can look at books next to you while you do homework. Good Luck! Hang in there!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree - ear infection is likely. Try some Tylenol at least to see if it helps his ear feel better - then take him to his doc for a checkup on those ears. I also agree with the quiet time. If he won't sleep, just tell him he HAS to have a quiet time. My dd didn't want to take naps at 3 either, but more often than not I could make her have quiet time and she would end up falling asleep. You can do the same at night. If he keeps getting out of bed, just put him right back in. Don't say anything to him, don't let him talk you into anything, don't give him the attention - no matter what. Give him a drink, hugs and kisses, and all that he needs before bedtime so he has no excuse to get up. It might take a while for this to work (hopefully not more than an hour or 2 for a couple nights), but the time spent will be way worth it if he gets to sleep when he should. Good luck mama!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010