I am in need of some advise on Inducing Labor...

So I am going to be about 39 weeks next week, I have a full internal exam on Monday to see if i'm dilated or not. The question is would you induce for no medical reason? And why. Have you had an induction and what was your experience. The reason I ask is because my doctor is one of those that as long as the baby seems ready and healthy he would induce if i wanted to speedy up the process rather then waiting to see if she is going to be late. and since i will already be 39 or so weeks I was thinking i might do it. This is my first child so I could really use advice from other mommies. Thank you in advance for your response and please no bashing lets be civil here =D

Linda_PF

Asked by Linda_PF at 12:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Don't do it is my advise. Let the baby come on his/her own. If you needed to be induced the doctor would do it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No I would not induce for no medical reasons. You can safely go to 42 weeks. The baby might need that extra time in there. Doctors could have your due date wrong. Don't speed anything up. Your bundle of joy will be here soon enough. It does seem like it but there will be an end. There can be added complications when inducing so why take that risk.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Induction sucks, pitocin sucks worse. I'm sure you have heard labor sucks but when they use pitocin to bring on the contractions it hurts a hundred times worse. Serious I had one with it and one without and the one with almost made me not want anymore kids. The natural labor was something great. There was that big of a difference.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• oops read it wrong. Unless there was a medical reason wouldn't induce
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I am against inducing. If baby was ready to be born, you would be in labor. Inductions are statistically harder and also are known to raise the need for more interventions and c-sections. Letting your body do it on it's own guarantees your cervix and baby are ready. Baby's brain grows until it's time to be born. By getting induced, you are risking a iatrogenically premature baby if your baby wasn't supposed to be ready until 42 weeks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have been induced twice before my due date, so I have nothing to compare it to. I wouldn't suggest being induced until after the due date unless there was some concern about the baby or your health. I had generally good experiences with my inductions, but I will tell you that especially being a first time mom, an induction can take FOREVER. I was in labor 41 hours with my first and 36 with my second. Long and frustrating, although I didn't think it was all that painful, compared to some of the pitocin horror stories people scared me with. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• JulieJacobKyle were your inductions your choice or because of medical reasons? And thanks everyone so far for all your responses you guys are really awesome!!
    Linda_PF

Comment by Linda_PF (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Um Induction does NOT suck. I had the best delivery ever with a scheduled induction. It was smooth, not a lot of pain. I've done it both ways and didn't feel any different than regular labor. Contractions HURT no matter how they come about. I am not for self induction by any means, with cohosh, and castor oil and all that crap. Here were my reasons for having an elective induction:
    It was 30 degrees below outside and lots of roads were closed down.
    My husband worked out of state in the winter and I was alone with 2 kids and no help, if I were to go into labor on my own, it could have been a disaster.
    My body was not fiegning pregnancy like it used to and I was in more than average pregnancy pain, to the point of vomiting.
    It was my decision, and I'm glad I did it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was induced at 35 weeks due to medical reasons (baby's heart rate was dropping)with my first child and it was HORRIBLE! The pitocin made the contractions unbearable! I had to get my epidural immediately and also had to receive pain meds to assist with the pain! I was so loopy that I was not really able to conversate with anyone.

I had my membranes stripped with my second child at 40 weeks, 3 days, and went and walked to help get labor started and it worked! The contractions with this labor were so much more manageable! I did not receive any I.V. pain medication, and was able to hold off on receiving my epidural until the VERY last minute. It was amazing. I recovered so much faster as well.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No, I would not. Pitocin is the devil. I had one induction and one natural. I would take natural any day over the induction, as long as there is no medical reason.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010