DO you actually know someone who for a fact abuses EBT?

How do they abuse it? You don't know if their paperwork is untruthful, how much they get, how big their family is, and there are few restrictions on what EBT pays for: Why do you say some people abuse the system?

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 1:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Shopping

• in the past, i did know of several people.. there was 4 friends and they lived in the same house, and they were all getting food stamps, and out here, the average is like 300 a week. They were pooling their money together, and the rest of it, was going to alcohol and drugs.. that was back in the day when i used pretty regularly.. i am upfront and honest about my former life.. live and learn..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i do.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 1:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I use EBT, and I don't abuse the system by any means =]

I don't personally know anyone who abuses it...but if you walk into the DSS in my county, you can kind of tell who's there to really get help and who's there just for kicks.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• NOT*****
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 1:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• ppl let others use their card in return for something else. drugs clothes, diff things. that's abusing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i HAVE A FRIEND THAT FILLED SINGLE W/ NO JOB BUT SHE LIVES WITH HER SO WHO WORKS AND MAKES PLENTY OF MONEY. AND SHE DOES SIDE JOBS AND GETS PAID UNDER THE TABLE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I do not directly know anyone that abuses it. I assume that most people that use it - need it. I think like anything, the bad apples ruin it for the bunch and help perpetuate negative stereotypes.

I do remember a side note made about some of the religious communities (This is NOT to judge, just mentioned in the news broadcast) that practice polyamorus (polygamy without legal marriage) relationships that they had a high number of women reporting "Single" with children -- when in fact they lived in households with many other women, some that worked, some that did not and a male. They mentioned that these counties in had a disproportionate number of women on government assistance.

I did used to work with a guy that bragged about saving money on his groceries by purchasing someone elses foodstamp card. He would get "$500 dollars worth for $200"
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• are you looking for ideas?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It seems to me that you are the one that want's to abuse the system.
    Anonymous

• when i had it, i don't think i abused it at all. But i do think there are many many people in the world that are far worse than me, and probably deserve it more than I do.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2008