• In the Spotlight:

I am trying to introduce cow's milk to my one year old. He doesn't seem to like it and makes a face. Any suggestions??

khowland0728

Asked by khowland0728 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Stop. LOL Give him water and feed him foods that will provide calcium and protein.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My DD didn't like it either.. that's how I broke her of the bottle.. she just wouldn't drink it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• what found is my daughter likes one milk over another. she loves the organic whole milk. i did transition when she was changing too. a little bit of formula and cows milk. maybe try that. it depends. something new that is probably what is going to happen. my daughter always makes a face with something new. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i always transitioned slowly. start with 1 oz of milk and the rest formula, and week by week increase the milk and decrease the formula.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Have you tried mixing half formula, half milk?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You could mix half and half and if they were used to their formula being room temp or warm, you could set the cup of milk in a bowl of hot to warm water to bring it to the temp he/she is used to. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• just keep offering it, make it available to him and just keep on offering.. he might take a few days or a couple of weeks.. at the end he will take it.. this is exactly what i went through with my daughter.. now i cant get her to stop drinking it.
    Layan82

Answer by Layan82 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I was not aware you could mix formula and cow's milk. Great idea.....I will try that slowly to transition him.
    khowland0728

Comment by khowland0728 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I tried transitioning by gradually mixing more milk and less formula, but my twins still didn't like it. I tried warming it. I tried mixing flavors with it. None of those things made them want to drink it, so I just gave them cheese and yogurt and kept offering milk. They were almost two before they started actually drinking milk, but that's not a problem if you make sure they are getting other foods in place of milk.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Was he breastfed? My understanding is that breastmilk is sweeter. My oldest didn't like cow's milk, either. I added a little white grape juice to it to make it sweeter and warmed it up a little for a while. That worked for us. I would love to support the idea that kids don't need cow's milk, but I've never been able to get mine to eat much of the foods that give us lots of calcium.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010